SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northcarolina_gw

Stupid question re. walls in a kitchen remodel

12 years ago

Bear with me...

It seems that every in-progress kitchen reno photo shows the sheetrock taken down to the studs. Is this for convenience (electrical/plumbing), for looks (nice smooth new walls) or because taking down the cabinets damages the walls too much to leave them up?

The reason I ask is that I would very much like to NOT have my walls messed with, partly because they are plaster and I like their little bit of not-perfectly-smooth, but mostly because I hate the mess and also we wouldn't be able to do the kitchen during the school year if there will be extensive drywall work. (We have a child who is sensitive to drywall dust.) We won't be doing any structural changes but I do plan to replace most if not all of the cabinets and move the sink.

So are old upper cabs glued to the wall or something? Just want to know before I commit. And before you ask, no, we do not have a contractor, all the ones who have come out here so far seem to think I am crazy and give me these long spiels about how awful Ikea cabinets are and how I don't want them and also I must be nuts to think I can really get a decent countertop for $500 (which would be the actual cost of Ikea butcherblock if I go that way). So we will probably be doing this either with Ikea installers or our handyman, who is a careful worker and willing to try anything as long as he gets paid. (Plus a licensed plumber and electrician of course.)

Comments (17)