Now what about Custard Tarts in As Time Goes By???
19 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (34)
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Related Discussions
Blackberries a bit too tart.. (as in way too tart)
Comments (28)The price is too much, especially when The National Clonal Germplasm Repository at Corvallis, Oregon, sends out plants for free. I put in an order on line there last year for two Rose de Cote d'Or raspberry plants, after David Karp raved about their taste in his article. Two tiny, rooted cuttings arrived a few weeks ago, after around a year's wait, and are leafing out nicely in their one gallon pot. There might not be enough chill here to fruit them, but it's fun trying. Several French websites report that it's one of the most aromatic raspberries in existence. Here is a link that might be useful: NCGR-Corvallis - Rubus Germplasm...See MoreFirst-time gardener discouraged by cold snap. What now?
Comments (24)Hi Steffie! Your experience with bermuda grass reminds me why I HATE bermuda grass. :) My brother put down black plastic (plain old black plastic like trash bags are made of, not the fabric mulch type) on a newly tilled flower bed and planted perennials right through it. When he removed that plastic FIVE YEARS LATER, there were still those long bermuda runners everywhere. I never try to make a new lasagna bed without removing the sod first, having learned the hard way. I found it interesting that your grandmother raised her crops in stages. I do the same thing, and have never met anyone here who does it in the precise, regimented way that I do. I'll use tomatoes as an example since they are the crop I grow the most of. I start my earliest seedlings, about 70% of my main season tomato crop, on Super Bowl weekend. Then, six weeks later I start the other 30%. I plant out in cycles, beginning in mid to late March most years, and get the late ones from the second planting into the ground by late April. Then, in mid to late-May I start seeds for fall tomatoes, or take and root cuttings in mid-June. I get the fall tomatoes in the ground in late June to early July. In late August I start seeds for a few winter tomatoes in containers, generally small-sized ones like Window Box Roma, Red Robin, Yellow Canary, etc. These tomatoes in pots can go into the garage or house during cold spells and extend the fresh tomato season quite a bit. I do similar succession plantings of most veggies, including beans (every three weeks), corn (every 5 weeks), melons (generally an early planting in mid-April and a late planting in late May), summer and winter squash, peppers, okra and black-eyed peas. I do the same thing with flowers. Take sunflowers. I plant different ones for each season. So, my spring sunflowers which will begin blooming in May most years, are some of the ones lightest in color like Italian White and Moonshadow and any of the ones with the lemon-yellow petals. The summer-blooming ones, which usually begin blooming in July, are the really golden-colored ones, of which there are many varieties. The late-summer to fall blooming ones are those in tawny fall-type colors like Autumn Beauty, Earthwalker, and any of the red-flowered ones like Chianti or Prado Red. So, I always have flats of replacement plants started and it is easy to put them in the ground and plug them into holes in my garden at any time. It can get rather complicated to keep track of what needs to go where and at what time, but by staggering plantings, I have found I can have a wonderful garden each and every week of the summer. Right now, I am starting flower seeds in small paper cups. These plants will go into the ground in mid-May. The first week in May, I start flower seeds that will go into the ground in June for blooms beginning in July. And so it goes, on and on and on. With all the stages of planting, I always have something new coming along and that pleases me. Dawn...See MoreYogurt question about tartness
Comments (16)sally2- I don't think I ever said "kefir from the store isn't good enough", it's just not anything close to being the same thing as making it yourself with real kefir grains. It's like saying powdered mashed potatoes are just like eating real, peeled, boiled mashed potatoes. Commercially-produced kefir is a fruity, sugared version that includes some of the good bacteria. It would be impossible to use the traditional fermentation process we do at home on a commercial scale. They just like to make you THINK it's the same thing. Real kefir grains are used over and over for each batch and grow and make more kefir grains. It's a living thing packed with many more varieties of good bacteria and yeasts (30) needed to ferment milk (or water with water kefir grains) than they use for commercially-produced kefir. There is also a powdered starter - Yogourmet Kefir Starter - and once again, it's not the real thing and only has a couple types of bacteria necessary for fermentation. This is the product I first used until I found a source for the real kefir grains. How to get kefir grains....person-to-person. You normally get them from someone else who has them. I went on-line and found a source here in Kansas. I paid a small amount for them, plus shipping. There are some web sites that sell dehydrated kefir grains (the real deal, just dried), I just don't have any personal experience with them and can't suggest one. -Grainlady Here is a link that might be useful: Kefir - Wickipedia...See Morefull-time SD stopped speaking to me - now what?
Comments (6)Hey there. I'm new to this too, but will give it a shot! First off I wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss, I know you must be hurting and it can't make things any easier feeling inside that things aren't right with your step daughter. I know it's hard, but try not to see her behaviour as a personal attack on you, you obviously care about her and your relationship and I'm sure things will work themselves out, if I were you I would definately not disengage, she's probably craving a bit of consistency and support after your loss, it will be difficult for her to understand and come to terms with. I know all children are different, but her behaviour sounds just like my step daughters, she too is the same age! We used to get on really well at the beginning too, but then she went quiet and moody with me after a while. I took it personally, and thought I'd done something wrong or she just didn't like me anymore but now I think a lot of it boils down to been the ripe age of 10, when they are looking forward to senior school and spending time with older children, they morphe into some sort of mini teenager! My partner also says to me that when we first got together it might seem to me as though we got on really well, but she was just making more of an effort around me because I was new and exciting in her life. He says it's good she feels comfortable enough around me now and doesn't have to put a front on anymore, apperently I've offically been accepted! I did have a chat with her, it's hard to know if she's got something bothering her or if it's just typical 10 year old behaviour as I too hadn't had any parenting experience before, and it did turn out things were bothering her. It turned out she did have a lot on her mind, little things really, that I did or didn't do that she didn't understand, and that I wouldn't have thought of bothered her but they did, and she didn't feel as though she could say something to me, because unlike her mam and dad who she knows will love her always reguardless of what she says or feels, she didn't know how I'd react, she didn't want me to 'not like her anymore' hense the quiet moodiness and one word answers, she was bottling things up. I'm starting to learn not to expect anything from my step daughter. It's as new to her as it is to me and it's took us a long time to get to a place where we all feel as though we fit right as a family (especially since my baby was born)and I don't ever think it will be plain sailing. It's hard work but I think the best thing you can do is talk to her. Maybe you could spend a girly night together or take her out for the day, just you's? Give her a chance to open up to you. Oh and her mother is bound to let her off the hook with everything, she will feel guilt for not seeing her daughter enough and will over compensate, to make sure she has the 'best time' with her. It's the same in my situation, my step daughter has been referred to a healthy eating club as she is slightly over weight so I encourage her to eat fruit and vegetables. I'm not cruel, she can have treats. but after shes ate her dinner.. so her mam gets her takeaways every time she sees her and my step daughter thinks that's great of her but I know I'm doing the best for her in the long term and she will appreciate that when she's older. i remind myself it's about whats best for her, not point scoring. Sorry for message been so long, just hope I can be of any help, read this message and almost thought I'd wrote it myself, I thought I'd been sleep typing! Please let me know how things go Mavis :-)...See More- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 19 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 18 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 15 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 15 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 15 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 13 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 13 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 13 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
Related Stories

MOST POPULARThe Unexpected Color That Goes With Everything
Move over, beige. Green is staking its claim as the freshest neutral around
Full Story
BEFORE AND AFTERSJumbled Style Goes Vintage Chic in a D.C. Bathroom Makeover
Sloppy on the outside and alarming on the inside, this row house bathroom now sports a clean new look and systems that work
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSHello, Bordello — an Ohio Loft Goes From Sinning to Winning
This onetime house of ill repute is now making good as a welcoming home, office and cocktail bar
Full Story
SALVAGEReinvent It: Antique Glass Goes Door to Door
Patchwork squares star on a door that once lived on a home's exterior, now gracing a historic home's dining room
Full Story
MY HOUZZMy Houzz: A Seattle Bungalow Goes From Flip to Happily-Ever-After Home
Once intended for a quick sale, this 1930s house now bears witness to its remodelers’ love and marriage
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: A Texas Home Goes Big for the Kids
Part-time homeschoolers go all out to design a home focused on family, imagination and fun
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: A Master’s Design Goes Green and Universal
Adapting $500 house plans in Pittsburgh leads to planned Platinum LEED certification and better accessibility for one of the owners
Full Story
GARDENING AND LANDSCAPINGSee a Fairway-Side Pool House That Goes With the Flow
This airy California pavilion creates an easy indoor-outdoor flow as it offers shelter from the sun — and falling objects
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNLightened-Up Midcentury Kitchen Goes With the Flow
A ranch’s kitchen, dining area and living room are combined in one beautifully unified space, while a mudroom solves a clutter problem
Full Story
DIY PROJECTSLace Goes Modern in an Upholsterer's DIY Pendant Lights
Bring romance to a room with delicate pendant lights you can make yourself
Full Story



Daisyduckworth