SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjra_gw

Homeowner's insurance whilst renovating?

cjra
18 years ago

I saw the posts re: homeowners insurance for older houses,but what about *during* renovations?

We had Builder's Risk for awhile when we weren't living in it, which basically covered fire and a few other things. But now we're living in it, with all our belongings - and so need full coverage for theft, etc. BUt we're still working on the interior and haven't even touched the exterior so the siding is still in poor shape, the porch is stable but not nice, etc. (We did fix the roof and foundation but no skirting yet around the pier/beam foundation while we do some other work under there).

We're having a hard time finding insurance companies. They say they won't insure it til the work is complete and the house is in perfect condition. Now, I'm pretty sure the previous owners carried insurance, but likely that was just never updated as the house deteriorated (it was in terrible shape). A couple of places said they'd do it, then they send an inspector out who sees the siding and cancels it...even if I've already told them of the condition.

Surely we're not alone in this position? It should be finished in the next 6 months, but in the meantime we need insurance.

Comments (5)