SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

Infrastructure doesn't have to cost money

talley_sue_nyc
15 years ago

I've mentioned several times that I think "infrastructure" is important.

I believe it's no accident that the first part of the cliche is "a place for everything."

That you can't put something away if it doesn't have a home.

And I've said sometimes that PROPER infrastructure can make a huge difference. Using a wall unit designed for display of knicknacks and a TV in an attempt to hold sewing stuff (as Glenda was doing) is almost a recipe for failure.

And I've said that sometimes you ahve to spend on infrastructure, ad you shouldn't apologize for that.

But in my know-it-all advice (and well-meant encouragement) to MsMarion, I mentioned infrastructure, and tried to sort of imply that I meant simple, inexpensive stuff.

But maybe that point wasn't very strong, and anyway, it got me to thinking.

I have never meant to imply that infrastructure HAD to mean "going out and buying new shelves."

It might just mean rearranging things on the shelves you DO have, or storing things in the correct room.

It might even mean putting stuff in a totally counter-intuitive place--like storing shoes in the china-cabinet-like wall unit.

Help me list example of "effective infrastructure" that don't cost much money--or ANY money. I'll start:

-my brother & his wife have a Duet front loading washer; they set their detergent so its spigot is directly above the drawer that the soap goes in. Essentially, they never put the detergent away. (won't work for other styles of clothes washers)

-a hook by the front door to put my keys on (in another apt.); now a soapdish on my dresser

-a cleared-out corner of the basement to give the clothes-drying rack a permanent home

Comments (26)