SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maureen_me

Question about Van Over bread method

maureen_me
16 years ago

I first read about Charles Van Over's bread book here, and the method sounded intriguing. I managed to get my hands on a cheap unused copy (pretty neat trick, since the one new copy on Amazon is currently going for $208--hype is an amazing thing!) and made a few of the recipes. So far I've had mixed results, but I'm willing to stick with it for a while longer.

The recipes I've made up till now have all had only one liquid in them--water. Today I thought I'd try to make his challah, but it has several liquids--water, plus vegetable oil, honey, and eggs. So here's what I'm wondering. His technique is to arrive at the base temperature by combining the temps of the flour and the "liquid." This is easy and obvious in the water-only recipes. But what are you supposed to do in multiple-liquid recipes? This specific recipe doesn't say (it doesn't mention taking the temperatures until after it tells you to combine the ingredients in the food processor), and I can't find anything in the overall instructions at the beginning of the book. I'm puzzled at his not mentioning how the temps would be affected by whether other ingredients besides just the flour and water were refrigerated, frozen (I keep my yeast in the freezer, for example), etc.

In general, I think this book would've benefited by some better editing, but people rave about it so much that I'm wondering if I'm just missing something.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.

Comments (2)