SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

How to make fridge cleaning easy. No, really.

oceanna
11 years ago

I hate refrigerator cleaning, so I came up with an idea. I measured the shelves in my refrigerator and freezer they are side-by-side. I carry a dressmakers tape measure in my purse at all times (doesnt weigh hardly anything). I took the measurements to the store. I bought plastic storage-type bins.

Advantages:

Its easier to find and reach stuff, and use it before it expires.

Everything is in a removable "drawer" so there are no bad surprises in the back.

It saves energy. You want salad? Go through your salad box on your counter with the fridge door shut.

Spills and rotten-forgotten messes are contained inside the boxes, keeping the fridge cleaner and sparing you bending over and stretching to scrub mystery goo in the back of the bottom shelf.

The boxes can be filled with water to soak off hardened goo while you do more fun things.

The boxes can be cleaned easily in the kitchen sink.

Its easier to stay organized.

Its easier to spot-organize or clean often, without tackling the entire fridge.

Frozen hunks of meat no longer fall out of the freezer to hit you in the foot.

You can stack irregular-shaped packages high in your freezer and still keep them neat.

Kids dont have to turn everything in the fridge upside down when theyre looking for something.

If you have a very shallow shelf, the box lid can serve as a tray to also make it "pull-out."

I do still have some bare shelf space, but doing this really saves time and work.

I did the same thing with bathroom storage so bottles of pills no longer fall in the toilet when I reach for something else (yay!). I have a plastic basket that contains just the pill bottles I use to fill my Mon-Sun pill container, which makes it easier and allows for higher stacking in limited horizontal space. You can have a box just for cold and flu remedies, and another just for bandages and wound creams.

And finally, if you ever need to move to a new house, just put the lids on the boxes and go.

Comments (20)