SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhome410

Avid bread and pizza bakers...Do you have an oven you love?

rhome410
13 years ago

This is slightly OT, but on the appliance forum I will get lots of opinions from people who use (or don't use) their ovens in all sorts of different ways and I want opinions from people who use their ovens a LOT, including for plenty of high heat baking (like for artisan breads), pizzas (so high heat with opening the door to switch every few minutes), etc., etc. I want consistent, even baking and want the oven to keep up.

Some of you may know me from the kitchen and appliance forums and know I've been through a journey with ovens. First had Fisher and Paykel...Performed brilliantly, but the porcelain pitted and flaked. They replaced it with their new model. It was another excellent performer, but it had problems with the controls, and F&P had problems with service people (mostly vice-versa) and they bought it back from me and ran. The oven I got to replace it is having consistency problems and talking to another prolific baker who is having identical problems with the same type of oven, we've come to the conclusion that these are just not engineered for the things we ask of it. It particularly has problems when I do pizza...It can't keep up the high temp with the door opening every 7 or 8 minutes to change pizzas. Part of the oven gets way too hot while other parts are too cold. I have a funny picture of a pizza that is very brown on one side and white on the other, as if someone had drawn a line down the middle. Not so funny when trying to feed my family, though, and that is the result.

I have a large family and we use our oven once or twice a day. I bake all our breads, rolls, etc, in addition to roasting veggies and meat, baking pastries and cookies, and we have a weekly pizza night. I wish I could get a bakery oven...One that's meant to be consistent and used to capacity daily, but I'm sure they're somehow inappropriate for residential use, including not having a warranty in a residence, and probably not good with code or homeowner's insurance.

Researching, I find that Gaggenau may be my best bet, but the price is more than daunting. So I thought I'd check here to see what others are using and having good results with.

Thank you!

Comments (30)