SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darklord1967

Oops!!! Second Try

darklord1967
16 years ago

Hi everyone!

I'm new here so please forgive this posting if it is in the wrong place.

I was hoping to post some photos of my Brooklyn, NY apartment and get some general design feedback.

ABOUT THE SPACE: My wife and I own the 5-family building where this apartment is located. The building was built in 1929.

We were told this space (about 1,000 sq feet) was a saloon back in the 1950's. This was a full gut-out job and renovation.

I personally designed the new interior layout, and architecture.

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know how to post photos here yet, so I'm providing the direct links.

Simply paste these into your browser to view the photos.

Thanks everyone and enjoy your day!

ENTRY FOYER:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/MainEntrance-FoyerMail.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/CatEnclosuremail.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/foyermail.jpg

DINING ROOM (Still under construction):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/DiningRoomWallUnitMail.jpg

LIVING ROOM:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/Foyerarchwaymail.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/LivingRoomSeatingmail.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/HomeTheaterLukeVader.jpg

KITCHEN:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/KitchenArchwaymail.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/Microwave-Stove.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/Kitchencounter.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/kitchensink.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/Kitchencabinets.jpg

MY GENERAL BATH:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/BathroomEntrancemail.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/BathroomCielingFixtureMail.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/TowelRackmail.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/Toilet-ShowerCurtainmail.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/toiletmail.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/BathVanityMail.jpg

Comments (38)

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I copied and pasted a few pictures, your entrance is amazing , love it.

I'm too lazy to do that 18 times with all your pictures ; maybe someone who uses photobucket can tell you how to link the whole album and make it public.

• emagineer
    16 years ago

Here's a link on GW Test area for posting photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Test Photo

• msrose
    16 years ago

darklord - If you copy the html code (3rd one under the picture) and paste it here, the pictures will show up in the post.

Laurie

• nanmeade
    16 years ago

See if this works:

{{gwi:1586519}}

• nanmeade
    16 years ago

More!

ENTRY FOYER:

{{gwi:1586520}}

{{gwi:1586521}}

DINING ROOM (Still under construction):

{{gwi:1586522}}

LIVING ROOM:

{{gwi:1586523}}

{{gwi:1586524}}

{{gwi:1586525}}

KITCHEN:

{{gwi:1586526}}

{{gwi:1586528}}

{{gwi:1586530}}

{{gwi:1586532}}

{{gwi:1586534}}

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

I only clicked on a few and wow! Nice! You did a very impressive job, I like the architectural details a lot!

Try this in PBucket:
    Log into your account, at main screen, upper right click on "Account Options", at next screen, middle section titled "Album Settings", click on "edit my Album settings". At next screen set it to Public.

If you'd rather keep it Private, under each picture there are several lines of code (Email, Direct Link, HTML and IMG). For this board, copy and past the line to the right of HTML code in the body of you post here. Repeat for each photo. That will put the actual photos in the body like redsox did above.

• nanmeade
    16 years ago

Whew!!!!

MY GENERAL BATH:

{{gwi:1586536}}

{{gwi:1586538}}

{{gwi:1586540}}

{{gwi:1586541}}

{{gwi:1586542}}

{{gwi:1586543}}

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

Cross posted with redsox ;)

Missed the one with the television earlier, that is breathtaking!

• les917
    16 years ago

Very striking, and very interesting architectural details. Has kind of an Art Deco vibe to me. Lots of work and creativity. Congrats!

• skypathway
    16 years ago

Wow, I love how you repeat the details and carry them consistently through the space. Gorgeous and very dramatic. You have also put a lot of thought into the lighting and it shows. There appears to be a very large wall opening for the cat to use as an egress - where does that go? To the litter box? I'd love to know what you did with the litter box - I bet you found a classy solution for such an eyesore.

I have one negative, I'm sorry to say. You have a stunning bathroom with a very modern toilet yet the toilet lid cozy and matching contour mat screams out "dated". They just don't belong. I also have one suggestion, and that is to lower the two pictures above the couch - they should be at the average height for people to view them - right now they look to be more than a foot too high. I always feel bad giving negative advice and I apologize for that, but I'd rather be honest that just give gushy good-feel answers. I hope you don't mind.

sky

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

*snapping out of drooling over the media room*

Along the lines of sky, the bathtub begs for glass doors, just my humble .02, that would really amp it up in that room ;) Something unique that will honor the rest of the space.

• teacats
    16 years ago

Consider switching the paint color in the main foyer to a soft silver -- check out Ralph Lauren's Candlelight finish paints and some of their metallic lines.

An amazing place -- and as a sci-fi (golden age; metal and sword-and-scorcery for sci-fi reading and film genres) junkie -- LOVE the creative touches! :)

• never_ending
    16 years ago

Love the CAT pictures and Batman!!!

Missing elements:

Clutter
    Fingerprints
    Toys strewn all over
    Mismatched furniture

*TEASING* Absolutely stunning!

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

That doesn't look like the Brooklyn I remember :)

• darklord1967
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Greetings Everyone!

Firstly, I'd love to soncerely thank EVERYONE for your very generous and flattering commenets.

My wife and I are gratified beyond belief.

Secondly, I'd like to send a special thank you to Red Sox24 for posting the photos for me! (See? Boston and New York CAN cooperate!)

And now for some direct responses to comments:

SKYPATHWAY, I think you hit the nail ON THE HEAD on quite a few things in your critique commentary, and I'm so grateful for it. To address a couple of your comments / questions:

My wife and I actually have 3 kitty cats. We built them their own private litterbox space in the base of the rounded wall of the Foyer. The (crawl) space is fully finished (Painted, trimmed, equiped with electrical, overhead lighting, and electronic air freshener and dust extractor). The cubby is also about to get a white paneled swing door (made out of light weight balsa wood).

The cat cubby space is pretty sizable. It is about 5 feet deep and it holds TWO large litter boxes. I am actually able to crawl into the cat cubby space and sit upright without my head touching the ceiling. And I am 6' 1" tall. Yeah the kitties love it in there.

As for my bathroom: Allow me to just explain that the construction on this apartment was begun, nine years ago. At that time, my wife and I were NOT YET the landlords of the property... my father was. He was anxious to collect his monthly rent from us, and so he RUSHED us through a LOT of our construction design decisions. Our General bathroom, (the 1st room completed in the apartment) suffered the most from features that my wife and I just "settled on" because my father was not patient enough to allow us to shop around and find stuff that we really liked. THE CERAMIC WALL TILES are probably the biggest example of that. They are okay, but I would REALLY have preferred someting larger (8"X8"), more dramatic, and possibly even in marble. I really dislike the tiles with the little flowers on them. I would also have preferred if the wall were only tiled HALFWAY up, and then capped with a (contrasting) marble chair rail moulding. The upper half of the wall could have been painted in an interesting color, crowned by the white crown moulding and ceiling.

I tell you honestly, once our second floor Master bath in completed, I plan to trear down these (1st floor General Bath) walls and to the over as described above. I'm perfectly happy with our medicine cabinet, vanity, granite countertop, toilet, lighting, and decorative touches. I just dont like the walls.

Also, TEACATS, I think you were right ON POINT regarding a glass door for the tub. In fact, there is already one there. It was just obscured the by curtains in the photo. Pretty soon, I'm going to install a tiny wall hook off to the right of the tub wall. This hook will hold a fat blue ribbon (made out of the identical curtain satin used in the trim of the curtain itself) This large ribbon wil be used to hold the tub curtain back in a dramatic sweep to reveal at least some of the tub's glass door.

Some final points:

These photos only represent a portion of our apartment's FIRST FLOOR.
    The Master Bedroom, Master bath, Sitting Room, Home Office, 2 Walk-In closets, and closet corridor will all be located on the Second Floor, accessible through a spiral staircase just off the Dining Room.

Missing from this series of FIRST FLOOR photos is the tiny Media Room (adjacent to the living room / home theater) This is the room where the movie library and all of the Home Theater components are located (DVD Player, Blu Ray Player, Laser Disc Player, VCR, Audio Reciever, etc.) All of the wiring is routed through the walls to feed signals to the various components in the adjacent Living Room Theater (70" TV, In-Wall Speakers, etc.)

And the single "under construction" Dining Room photo posted here conceals the fact that this room is currently our makeshift bedroom, until the upstairs Master Suite is complete.

Keep the comments coming! You all have such GREAT tips!! Thanks a million!!

• sherry326
    16 years ago

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

• darklord1967
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I forgot to respond to NEVER ENDING:

My wife and I laughed hysterically at your comment. Thanks for that!

The truth is, admittedly, I am known as a... teeny-weeny bit of a "neat freak"... but only a teeny bit.

Aw, who the heck am I kiddin'? I'm a borderline OCD nutcase!

My wife once even called me "anti-sceptic".

She's happy to let me do ALL of the house cleaning, while she handles laundry, and bill paying. It actually works out well since we each gravitated toward the domestic resposibilities we're good at.

Anyway thanks a million again for the giggle.

• valley57
    16 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. A very striking home. Please post more as you complete the rest. Thanks for sharing.

• mrslimestone
    16 years ago

Just wanted to say hi to a fellow Brooklynite.

• wisrose
    16 years ago

Absolutely out-of-this-world, drop-dead gorgeous. How wonderful to see the out-of-the-ordinary in design and architecture, Bravo. Also how nice that a self-proclaimed neat freak can still have dusty kitty boxes in his home, even if you do have a dust extractor, wish I could have one, where can I get something like that? Seriously.

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

Wow. Gorgeous details. I am drooling! I love all the deep blues. I just had to print off some pictures of your foyer.

I hope you don't mind a little kitchen feedback. How about different hardware on the kitchen cabs. Something a little more retro maybe in satin nickel or chrome. Modern art glass bowl or large plate displayed in the blues and/or purples somewhere on the counters would add more interest.

I'm still drooling!

• darklord1967
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi again Gang!!

Wow you guys are AWESOME!! Your warmth and enthusiasm and kind words really make this ol' Brooklynite feel so good (Hi five, MRSLIMESTONE!).

And thank YOU, WISROSE, for your very flattering words of encouragement for this ol' neat freak. You know, the truth is, those litter boxes really don't have much of a chance to get dusty. Between the electronic dust extractor, and my DAILY litterbox cleanings, things pretty much stay nauseatingly tiddy in the cat cubby space too.

Gosh, when I write it out, I'm begining to suspect that I need some serious psychological help! LOL!

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

darkload1967, I love your home so much. I love how you kept it so neat while accomodating the three kitty cats. I love the design, the beautiful foyer, the beautiful kitchen that has the white cabinetry with the black modern knobs, etc. I really like everything but the rugs in the bathroom seem to be bluer than the beautiful shower curtain. Please share the rest of your gorgeous home as you complete it.

• joyceshaw
    16 years ago

Wow! I'm so impressed! Just love the lighting design and the details. You did a fantastic job renovating it!! But I do have some small concerns/suggestions:
    1. I love the calla lilies in your bathroom, would like to see more of that kind of dramatic arrangement than the current leafy branch arrangements in your foyer, living room, and kitchen. They just look a bit messy.
    2. bathroom: not a big fan of those navy towels/shower curtains/rugs. How about some white/grey ones with blue borders instead? In fact I think the toilet doesn't need any linen.
    3. living room: Wonder if we could see some pictures from a more normal angle. Kind of hard to figure out what it really looks like. From what I can tell, the two paintings above the sofa are too far apart. Just thought it would look more visually pleasant to move them closer to each other.
    4. media room: can we see it from a normal angle? Can't quite figure out your setup from this picture. Looks really neat though.

Looking forward to seeing your other rooms.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

That's very cool paneling with the circles in the middle. Was that your creation? Or was it ready-bought? I haven't seen wainscoting like that before. I also really like the calla lilies. All of your design is very pretty, and very futuristic looking. I love your liberal use of arches. Nice job! I do think toilet seat covers and toilet rugs are a thing of the past, though.

• judithn
    16 years ago

darklord1067, Wow. If you're asking in a general way to see how people like your house, then I would say that what matters most is that YOU like it. If you're asking because you're wondering about selling it and wondering if it's appealing to a prospective buyer, I would have completely different comments. I may be the voice of dissent here, but as a serious cook I would be concerned about how it would be to work at that stove with the left side blocked off by the deep cabinet. I see the wall bumps out there and therefore, so do the cabinets, but I would have avoided that particular configuration.

I also would feel that the individualized style choices you've made in your molding and finishes couldn't fit my taste. There might be a buyer who loves everything and whose taste matches yours, and that's what you hope for, of course. Clearly the work is done with a particular vision in mind. Some people might like that and some not so much. I personally feel the grey/blue/white combination is cold and that the dominance of the arch motif would eventually get tiresome and restrict decisions in other parts of the house.

I'm glad your happy of course, and you should be very proud of the work you've done on your house. Other people's opinions are just that opinions. But I would have to say it's not my cup of tea.

• darklord1967
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again everyone for the comments and suggestions!

I must say, your generosity staggers me!

Let me see If I can address some you your specific points:

BATH MATS:

I know there is some contention regarding the rugs in the Bathroom.
    The truth is, my wife is pretty close to agreeing with most of you on their inappropriateness. She doesn't find them offensive or anything, but she wouldn't mind if they were GONE either.

My trouble is, I'm not at all privy to the most current trends in interior design. As a kid I always thought that bathrooms with those silly rugs looked "cozy" and so as an adult designing my home, they were an automatic inclusion.

I promise you all to at the very least re-consider the bathroom rugs. I'm certainly intrigued by the possibilities of JOCYESHAW's suggestions At the moment, the bathroom actually has MONOGRAMED towels. They are a similar blue to the ones in these photos, but they feature bold white monogram lettering (with my wife's and my own first name initials and our last name initial larger in between them).

CALLA LILLIES:

The Bathroom Calla Lillies are a decorative choice that is repeated in the Kitchen as well, and we really like them, but we don't want to make it a statement in every room.

The eucalyptus stems in vases throughout the house are decorative, but they are more of a choice of CONVENIENCE. They don't die, sag, or dry out, and you can keep them a VERY long time before having to replace them.

Also with three CATS in the house, flower arrangements are a VERY tricky thing since quite a few species of flora are ACTUALLY poisonous to curious kitties who want to munch on some leaves.

Typically when we entertain, most of the vases throughout the apartment get a fresh monochomatic flower arrangement of some kind. And then they are disposed of within 3-4 days when they begin to wilt, and are replaced by fresh eucalypus stems.

I hear what you're saying, JOCYSHAW, about the somewhat un-kempt appearance of the stems in the vases. For what it's worth, when these photos were taken, there were far more stems in each vase than we typically keep in there. The smaller vases throughout our space now typically get no more than 4 to 5 stems, for a neater, more spartan look.

LIVING ROOM / MEDIA ROOM:

Just to clarify, JOYCESHAW, the SEPARATE questions that you inquired about regarding the media room and the Living room are both actually the SAME ROOM. The tiny ( 8' X 12') media room of our apartment has not yet been photographed, and is not included in this series of pics.

The photo of the big TV in the archway is the viewing wall of our LIVING ROOM / HOME THEATER space.

The small photo showing the lamps and couches (and the small framed pictures behind the couch) is the steating area of the same LIVING ROOM / HOME THEATER space.

That seating area is located directly across from the TV viewing wall. (Ie: sitting on the couch gives the person a direct perdendicular view of the TV viewing wall (just like at a theater).

The framed pictures on the wall behind the couch are only temporary pieces. They are there to hide the Home Theater's rear surround IN-Wall SPEAKERS. It is our intention to get two MUCH LARGER horizontal pieces to fill these spaces and bring them closer together visually.

WAINSCOTT:

Thanks for the very flattering comments OCEANNA. To answer your question, the design of the waitcott paneling throughout the apartment was my idea, however, I don't think I invented the design. I'm pretty sure that I've seen that design configuration applied vertically on very elegant ENTRY DOORS in some nice residences. My wife and I are actually planning to do the same for our apartment entrance door.

When I decided to spruce up the kitchen's dull (orignal plain) walls with wainscott paneling, it was a no-brainer to simply repeat the panel motif that was applied in the Entry Foyer. The main difference was that in the place of the circle, I went with a big dramatic oval.

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

Wow! Your home is just stunning. I will have to agree that it in not in my personal taste, but what I marvel about is your creativity and sticking with a unified theme throughout. I think it is important to recognize different forms of decor and yours certainly ranks right up there along with more traditional, cottage French, Tuscan or shabby chic.

Your attention to detail certainly shows--esp. with your lighting design as well as your photography skills. I enjoy all the little architectural touches which must've taken hours to execute. In fact, I'm saving off the pic where the wainscotting ends in the entryway. I have a dining room that I was thinking of doing wainscotting, but thought I could not as it turns the corner into my kitchen with no trim. Lovely! I would actually suggest you consider submitting these pics to a magazine like Architectural Digest as this is truely creative.

I agree with above comments regarding the height of the pictures and the bath mats and curtain.

If you are looking for more zing in the kitchen, I'd suggest you look at organic_donna's kitchen... another stunner in the modern .I could totally see a stainless steel backsplash in your kitchen. To me, the white appliances look out of place.

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic_donna's kitchen

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

I agree with Val regarding the applicances. I keep looking at the kitchen. It seems so white. SS would break that up a bit and give the kitchen a little zing. That's why I mentioned SS knobs, but I wasn't sure if you were planning on changing out the applicances.

I keep looking at the wainscotting. It's so awesome. Your style is one that definitely relates to my current palate for glamour, deco, and retro. As a matter of fact, I had to copy pictures of it all. The foyer table gets thumbs up.

Last time I was in NY I stayed at the Hudson. Very interesting decor. Not sure what to call it outside of some kind of funky.

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

There's something very funereal about it. I like the angry looking cat and the architecture. I'm concerned about the stuff that's going to get spilled on that kitchen floor with a step-up from the refrigerator to the sink. It seems a bit Victoria Gotti. One of the vases seem to move from room to room. There's a cat fountain on the floor of the tranquility deck aka dining area.

I don't think it's real - I think we're being made fun of.

• darklord1967
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WISROSE, I only just now noticed your question regarding dust extractors. So sorry.

To answer your question, I'm not sure but I think you can purchase them at any lowes or home depot. My contractor purchased ours and installed it on the ceiling of the pet cubby space.

If you are unable to locate one, I'm reasonaly sure that a stand-alone air purifyer (in a small pet space like mine) will work just as well (if not better)

Dust Extractors are pretty much like the fan/vent system that might be in your batroom and they work on the same principle as the Ionic Breeze.

Your contractor connects the extractor to a wall switch and when you activate it, a gentle fan agitates the air while a filtered vaccum collects the floating electrically charged dust particles. Once a month the filter is cleaned off and re-installed.

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

Okay, I'm sorry! I have to tell you that I do believe that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. I honestly thought you were putting one over on us. You recently registered here and you would not believe some of the posts that come from people who registered just ten minutes prior.

I googled you and saw that you had posted your pics somewhere else, and it seemed more likely that you were legitimate.

That being said - Do you really drink blood?

• darklord1967
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WISROSE, I actually found an online link to the EXACT dust extractor that is insalled inside my pet cubby space:

http://www.air-filtrationsystems.com/view/180/285/

Best of luck.

• darklord1967
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"Drink blood"? Ugggh!!! Are you kidding? I don't even like beer or wine!

What on Earth gave you that idea? Perhaps it was my online name "Darklord"?

Well, that name referrs to my geeky status as an ULTIMATE Star Wars NUT!

My favorite character (who I've dressed up as before) is Darth Vader, who is a DARKLORD of the Sith.

Alright... first I reveal what a neak-freak-azoid I am, THEN I reveal what a NERD I am.

What's next? Pictures of my STAR WARS Toy Collection Room upstairs perhaps?

Uhhh... no, wait. Ignore that last comment.

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

Again, I'm so sorry - I was completely out of line.

• livinwell
    16 years ago

I love it all and especially like the kitchen with the white appliances. I do not like SS and don't see appliances as a focal point per se. You've done an excellent job and you and your wife should feel proud of your dwelling.

The STAR WARS Toy collection should be next. lol

• darklord1967
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello livinwell!!

Your very generous comments about our home honor my wife and myself. Thank you so very much.

You've certainly made our day.

As for pics of my STAR WARS Toy collection room... Well, I'm not sure that everyone here is ready to be hit with THAT level of geekiness. LOL

There are plenty of photos of my collection on several sites around the net, and some of those folks have had some really strange and mean reactions to it. I've even been called a "hoarder" among other things. Oh well.

But really I'm just a guy who's been collecting since the age of 11 back in 1978, and so the collection is somewhat sizable.

Hey there Daisyadair,

No need for apologies, but you are most gracious to offer one. Thank you so much.

I agree with you . The internet CAN be full of some very strange people hiding behind their anonymity and posting the wildest claims, many of which are mean-spirited, vicious, or flat-out un-true.

I'm actually pretty flattered that you find our place a bit "un-real" even if it is not your taste.

Following your example, I googled my "darklord1967" name and found an MSN message board for vampyres! There was an individual on there with my exact same internet name saying that he likes to drink blood (I guess that's what you encountered) Yuk! The thought just makes my skin crawl. The thing that puzzles and alarms me is that his private e-mail address is the same as mine. I hope to goodness I haven't been hacked.

Anyhow daisyadair, my wife and I thank again so much for the correspondence.