SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshing

Mixing and match carpeting?

marvelousmarvin
10 years ago

Has anybody ever mixed and matched carpeting, where they used different carpeting for different rooms?

My natural inclination was to use the same carpet for the entire house to tie everything together and make it all flow.

But, I'm reading that carpets are rated differently for durability and that your carpeting should depend on the expected traffic in that room. For stairs and other areas that are expected to get more traffic, you'll need more durable carpeting than for something like the bedroom.

I hadn't really considered that before, and that' explains why there's a few areas of carpeting that need to be replaced while the carpet everywhere else is fine. So, if all the carpeting needs to match, then that means I'll have to replace everything even though most of the carpet is still okay.

But, if you get the most durable carpet that will meet the demands of the most trafficked areas and use that same carpet throughout the whole house, then it seems you're overpaying for carpet for most of the house- you're getting carpet more durable than needed for the rest of the house.

I'm just curious what everybody else does with their carpet. To me, it just seems unfamiliar to use different carpeting for different rooms. But, there also seems like there should be a better way of carpeting that can handle the demands of different rooms.

Comments (20)