SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dai68

mini-split versus unico

dai68
17 years ago

Help! Any advice on the merits of mini-split v. unico systems in terms of ductless airconditioning? I understand that one advantage of mini splits is that you can cool certain sections of the house as opposed to the entire house but aside from that, I'm still left a little confused.

I've had two estimates now for minisplits (for both mitsubishi and fujitsu) but the estimates have varied widely. The higher estimate ran over $7,000 (17000 btu) and that's just for the downstairs! Given the price, I wonder if it is better to save up for the unico system at a later date which would at least cover the whole house.

I also was told by the other company that it is more efficient to install a system with a heat pump b/c the SEER is higher overall and will also save me money in the winter. However, I just paid for a new boiler last year (I have hot water radiator heat) and based on these estimates, I'll only be able to afford to put AC downstairs which would mean that upstairs would still need to be heated by the radiators in the winter time, which (to me)then would probably offset any winter heating savings from getting the heat pump, no?

Any thoughts about these systems? E.g., how does the efficiency and energy savings compare in terms of the mini split v. unico / space pak? Heat pump, no heat pump? And are people happy overall (given effectiveness, efficiency and price) with their systems?

Comments (8)