SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

My fireplace needs rescuing!

neetsiepie
16 years ago

I finally got the LR painted, and what do you know, there's a fireplace in there! The PO's had also painted the walls the same color as the FP, and you couldn't see it. We don't use it, so I put a mirror in the firebox and set up candles in there.

I will be replacing the hearth (currently ceramic tile) with blue slate, but I can't make up my mind about the brick and the mantel. The mantel is just flat out ugly and I want to change it.

As you can see by the pics, there is A LOT going on in the room, and I'm not married to the stuff on the mantle, but I want to keep the antique screen and andirons at the hearth. I will most likely keep the painted brick, but I'd flirted with adding slate onto the brick. Question is, would that be too contemporary?

And the mantle...strip it down and stain it dark? Replace it all together? If I replace it, what should I do? Slate? Wood? Moldings? The fireplace is on one wall, but the 3 remaining walls have a lot going on, so I probably won't make the FP the focal point...the big bay windows are much nicer in my HO. This summer we hope to have the floor in this room done to match the rest of the house, which is stained a dark mahogany.

This photo shows the slate for the hearth lying on the tiles.

This is the window wall.

and this wall is what is behind the sofa. The sofa floats away from the wall, but you can't tell from this photo.

Comments (12)