SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thatpatti

Kitchen Layout Help, Please!

thatpatti
12 years ago

Hi All!

We are planning a total kitchen renovation sometime this year. We are starting to talk about layout, and a friend suggested I get some help from you fine folks!

Here is our current layout, vaguely to scale:

Current issues/things that need to change:

- Would like to move to a standard range.

- Refrigerator doors block doorway to Dining Room when doors are open

- More cabinet space, specifically a pantry or pantry cabinets

I like the location of the island currently, as I keep two barstools on the back side and my boys (8 and 5) use this as a breakfast/lunch/craft/helping with cooking/baking area. I am open to other layouts, but I would like to include a similar area in the new layout.

The only thing we can't really move is the sink, as I want to keep it in front of the window. I'd love to put in a larger window along the back wall, but I'm not sure that's within our budget. So let's assume the sink will stay where it is. Otherwise, there is crawl space with easy access to gas and water under the kitchen, so we're flexible there.

Here is the layout of the main floor of the house (we're in a 3 level split). Not exactly to scale, and also that wall on the far right is not actually crooked. ;)

We have contemplated removing the wall between the kitchen and dining room, or taking it to a counter-height wall or something, so we're open to flexibility with that wall. The wall between kitchen and living room is load-bearing, and again, we're trying to keep a reasonable budget.

Here is a to-scale layout of the kitchen with measurements.

Note that there is a soffit on the left and back walls. I am assuming this is not possible to remove, and we probably would not want to mess with that even if we could.

My husband and I often cook together. Traffic most often runs in from entry hall and out into the dining room. We will likely be using Ikea cabinets. We want the kitchen to be nice, but we are not in a high-end neighborhood, so we don't want to go overboard.

I'd like a lot of open shelving on the upper half of the kitchen. SOME upper cabinets would be ok, but I really like the look of open shelving and since the room is smallish I think it would help it feel more open.

That's all I can think of now. Please let me know if you have any further questions. THANK YOU!!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath