SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
renovatingwoman

Dropped ceiling was demo'd now what to fix walls etc?

renovatingwoman
13 years ago

I bought an old 1905 house that I'm fixing up. We had plumbing issues that are fixed but while cutting a hole in the livingroom ceiling I found that the ceiling had been dropped about 12 inches in the 70s (70s newspapers were in ceiling). Anyways since other drywall work was being done throughout the house I decided to demo the ceiling.

We tore out the drywall and now we are taking out the framing that held the dropped ceiling. Only about 1/2 of the plaster lathe is still in the ceiling so I told the guy helping me to demo that as well up to the studs or whatever you call the boards so that new drywall can be installed for the ceiling.

I'm happy with my idea still despite the mess and extra time. But what are we going to do with the 12" or so from the drywall over plaster on the walls to the new drywall that will be installed on the ceiling? Obviously there's going to be a difference in size in drywall fo the 12" from the drywall over plaster on the walls. We of course didn't open up walls to demo the ceiling.

Also my friend said to try to blow in insulation into the walls from the top holes once we demo the plaster/lathe more on the ceiling and the upper part of the walls. Would that make sense?

I had the idea of adding a few beams to make the livingroom more dramatic and I'm looking at books with ideas for trim and such. Is there such a thing as over 12" trim or layered trim for the walls to ceiling to cover the 12" gap? Or how about the idea of boards of some sort or beams and boards?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Comments (4)