SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goostergw

Was: Paneled ceiling/walls, Lava Rock FP, Now Lightened Up

Gooster
10 years ago

I've been meaning to post a followup on my never-ending remodeling saga. The FR got an update when the kitchen got expanded earlier this year ( EIK Reveal Link). The EIK is traditional with a touch of Hollywood Regency, so the goal was to lighten up the FR and make it relate better to the rest of the house.

I noticed quite a few posts with 60s and 70s era FRs with paneling and rock walls. In our case, we had a 60s addition to a 1937 home that had paneling on the walls and ceiling when we first moved in. The paneling was not the nice stuff I see people are able to paint and adapt. There were also stained glass windows, parquet floors, an built-in green rug, and a wall of rock (mixed with lava rock). Here it was originally:

It was really, really dark:

In the first wave of remodeling, the paneling on the ceiling, the stained glass, the old bar top, the flooring and part of the rock came down. After living with that for years, during the latest remodeling frenzy we undertook, the wall paneling came down, the trim painted out, and the fireplace wall was torn out. The fireplace went from a wall of rock to a pile of bricks.

The new fireplace and built-in entertainment area are shown below. The built-ins are custom inset cabinets, built to match the Crystal Cabinets in the kitchen (too much on-site customization was needed to use the same brand, no matter how much they could customize the pieces off-site). The two grills in front lower corners are speaker cabinets. The left most X cabinet holds the stereo equipment. The FP tile is a beveled arabesque with a relief (Ken Mason Tile) that I loved and wanted to use somewhere in the home. The hearth is some leftover squares from when we redid the entryways during the half-step remodel. The style of paneling, inset cabinets and bookcases mimic the original built-ins in the formal LR (Covered in this thread ). The cabinets may get lighted; they are wired for it. The TV is 60" on a swivel extension mount; the opening can hold a 65".

Closeup of FP tile:

View in the other direction --- I still need to buy art and a mirror for this room. I've been looking for some locally sourced art.

One final shot, with others in the photobucket archive:

I've shown a few shots before, but since this seems like it will take forever to get finished with all the details, I thought I post and ask for some advice on finishing details and other changes. I'd eventually like to replace the bar stools, the sectional and get a new chest for near the bar And, as I mentioned, I need some wall decor. I especially need ideas on what to do above the fireplace, behind the bar, and alternative ways to place the room.

This post was edited by gooster on Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 0:11

Comments (36)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer