SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cupofkindness

Monster Fireplace Demo'd:Now How To Construct A New, Elegant One?

cupofkindness
20 years ago

My twelve foot wide, ten foot high ugly rock (once was white quartz, but yellowed over 30 years) raised hearth fireplace (with no mantle) is finally gone. It took two days to tear it out, including a jack hammer to demolish the hearth (which was solid rock and concrete). Now what do I do? I have taken a roll of pictures of my friend's elegant raised hearth fireplace, which is nearly nine feet long. Her's has fluted columns for legs under a generous 103 inch long mantle. Atop the mantle, the fluted columns are reduced in depth and width, then continue to the ceiling of the room. This leaves a spacious framed area between the columns for art work. Off-white brick frames the firebox and is what the raised hearth is made from.

I want to replicate her fireplace on my emply wall, but I don't know how to handle the technical aspects of rebuilding and safety issues involved.

Some history: we bought this house four and a half years ago and have never used the fireplace because we have lots of little ones. Now everyone is older and since we're rennovating the kitchen, we decided to redo the family room as well since we hate the old fireplace. Our house sits on a concrete slab foundation. Whats left of the old fireplace is the elevated firebox that is in the middle of a brick wall that is five feet wide. On either side of that wall is three feet of dusty dry wall (with metal brick straps that held up the rocks). Both the brick segment of this wall and the drywall portions are nearly twelve feet long. Our ceilings are ten feet high. The old woodburning fireplace was plumbed for a gas start, at this point, the pipes are sticking out of the slab about 12 inches high. I don't know how the gas lines are worked inside the firebox. Since we live in Texas, we don't need the fireplace for heat, just a cozy, warm glow with all the wonderful extras: the smell of smoke, flames, and the sounds a burning fire makes.

What should we buy? I don't think we want glass doors, but I don't know.... are they a custom item? My firebox is roughly 42" wide by 36" tall.

I have a cabinet maker who will make the woodwork around the new fireplace. We will need a mason to build the hearth and the brick face surrounding the firebox.

Since we never used the old fireplace, what do we need to do to make sure our new one is safely designed? Are inspectors necessary, or do we light a fire and hope for the best?

Also, what is a timeline for completing a fireplace. If the brick work is done, how long do we need to wait in order to go to the next step (framing the fireplace, etc.) In other words, I don't know where to begin!!

I read through all of the pages of posts on this forum and postings and didn't find a thread that pulled it all together (at least in a way I could understand), so I'm asking now. Some of the threads are very old, and I thought that even if I asked on another post, I might not get an answer. Thank you for reading this long post. I appreciate any advice or guidance you can offer. Thank you!

Comments (16)