SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
althetrainer

I thought I knew about powdered milk, now I have to think again..

althetrainer
14 years ago

I have been using powdered milk for years. From baking to the out-of-milk emergency, my storage of powdered milk always saved the day. Since a lot of recipes call for non instant powdered milk, that's what I have in my storage.

I usually get my powdered milk from the same sources: the large chain grocery store ($0.98/100g) that I patronize and the LDS cannery ($1.02/100g). They both carry non instant dried skim milk, as far as I know, and their label is "non-fat powdered milk".

I noticed the price of powdered milk has gone up so began to look for a cheaper source. Went to a local health store two days ago and found some. There were two bins side by side, one said "full fat milk powder" while the other one "instant non-fat dried milk". The full fat one was $2.50/100g and the instant skim milk powder was $0.55/100g.

Considered one is non-instant and full fat while the other is instant and non-fat, I knew the full fat powdered milk would be more expensive than the other but I didn't know it could be that big a difference. Because of the price I decided to check out the instant stuff. To my surprise, it looked and tasted just like the non instant skim milk powder that I have been using.

The way I can tell the instant stuff from non-instant is to touch and taste it. The instant dried milk has a much coarser texture while the non-instant is fine like powder. Plus, instant powdered milk melts as soon as it hits the water while the non-instant you will have to work the lumps out.

Now, this is the part that confuses me. I was curious so I bought some of this instant powder. Got home and poured some hot water in a cup with some powder in it; it didn't dissolve immediately and I had to work the lumps out. I compared the texture to my own powdered milk, they're almost identical!

Here I am, scratching my head... there are three possibilities: 1) the health food store labeled the bin wrong 2) I have been using the wrong kind of powdered milk 3) I don't know anything about powdered milk

Can someone give me some insights to enlighten me? This is really bothering me!

Al

Comments (4)