SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tim_789

Custom panel on standard refrig - MacGyvers out there?

Tim_789
12 years ago

Like many others, I want the look of a built-in frig without spending the $$$. Even the panel-ready units are quiet pricey, and my cabinets next to the frig will be 30" deep, so I'm going with a full-depth frig.

I've read some lengthy posts on this subject from 2008 and 2009, but they all reference a different design than I'm considering - they all deal with a separate door, hinged separately from the frig door.

What I want to do:

1) buy a white, single-door, bottom-freezer frig (my cabinets will be simple shaker-style white)

2) Use a combination of rare-earth magnets, flexible magnetic sheets, and the existing handle-mounting holes to secure a thin panel on top of, and on the sides of, the frig and freezer door. This will be 1/8" baltic-birch plywood, with 1/4" thick maple or Azek (haven't decided which) applied on top of that to create the frame.

So, my first question: am I nuts? (at least based on what you read above?) Second question: have any of you done something like this?

The whole thing will weigh less than a couple gallons of milk, so I'm not too concerned about the extra weight. It will take a fair amount of finessing to get the sides of the door panels to look right, and I know I won't get a true built-in look due to hinge design, but I enjoy fiddling (I'm building the kitchen cabinets myself, so I think I can get this door to match reasonably well).

Thanks for your comments.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!