SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marthasunny_gw

Comment on our future layout

marthasunny
13 years ago

Dear wonderful individuals on Gardenweb,

Your ideas have been so inspirational in the past, and now our turn to post. Here's our future kitchen layout plan. Can you comment, please? (I've included only the bottom row of cabinets as otherwise it gets confusing.)

Martha

Questions:

1. What should we do at the peninsula? Should any appliances go there?

2. What do you think of the current locations of our sinks - We'll have a large sink under the window and a small prep sink elsewhere.

3. Any other suggestions?

{{gwi:1652218}}

Comments (26)

• cheri127
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I see too much counter space in all the wrong places here. The prep sink location is not useful for actual prep work since the counter is 7ft from the range. That's a lot of steps. The counter at the peninsula is also quite far from the action. With 31" aisles, the movable table would just get in the way of everything and it's not really deep enough to be a useful workspace. Sorry to be so negative.

I don't usually like corner sinks, but if this were my kitchen I might consider one. You'd have a nice long prep space in front of the window, which I think, would be delightful. You'd also be able to center the range between the window and the door gaining both symmetry and more counter to the left of it.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I think you might get more function if you had a double sink under the window, for prep closer to the range and for cleanup closer to the DW. If you used a wider cabinet and lost the 6 inch pullouts on each side you could try separating them and even have two faucets. The prep sink could be one that had a board that fit into it.

I think that table is really going to be in the way.

You also seem to has a number of smaller cabinets or fillers that will have limited utility. In a small kitchen you should try to keep it simple and minimize loss of inches by reducing the # of cabinets by using the largest ones that fit.

• Related Discussions

Please Review our floor plan. Welcome all comments :)

Q

Comments (16)
    This is a small point but it looks like there's a pocket door in your master closet on a wall that shows shelves and a hanging rod, and also is a plumbing wall. I don't think that will work (plumbing and things screwed into a wall that a door will slide into.) I'd rather have the door to the WIC be at the top of that wall, and a swing door opening against the top wall of the WIC. Then your two sinks with a nice long counter and storage drawers go below the door and on the closet side it's a nice long rod and shelf. This also lets you go into the WIC without walking through so much of the bathroom. I'd post on the kitchens forum too for great help with your kitchen layout.
    ...See More

Finally! Our layout for your comments

Q

Comments (3)
    Two things I really like about your design: love how the cabinets follow the wall around on the mw run. Also, I like your cabinet set-up above your sink. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a tough part to figure out. We also will have our sinks facing walls and for me it took a while to figure out that space overhead. Looks like you have a lot of nicely sized drawers! Congrats on getting this far.
    ...See More

my winter project -- our future office/library

Q

Comments (14)
    yayagal, the room definitely has a cozy feel. I don't know if it's the scale of the room or the angle in the wall from the roofline, but it has always felt cozy to me too. I'm excited to be making progress here. pps7, you're right about the Wythe Blue having a lot of green in it. I have now put huge samples of the Wythe on the walls and am communing with the color. While it doesn't MATCH the blue in the rug, I still think they play together nicely. Maybe I'm even a little happier that they don't match exactly...I tend to like things to be a little off/quirky. I have a picture that I want to hang in here that looks really good with the blue. Lacking a backup plan, I will most likely plow ahead with the Wythe. (And thanks for your comment about my living room. I'm still surprised by how much happier I am with it since my small changes.) jillinnj, thanks for your vote of confidence and the compliment on the beasts. The floors are heart pine and are in every room of the house except the baths. I think the attic floors are even heart pine, though we have yet to have them refinished. trailrunner, I'd love to see your rug...is yours the same colors too? Regarding the chairs, I might be crazy, but I'm toying with the idea of mohair velvet for the upholstery. I have 3 samples of gray mohair coming in the mail. I've always yearned for some, and have been inspired by sueb's soon-to-be saphire chair. I'll post picture of the samples when I get them. schoolhouse, yes, you're nuts. : ) When we moved in, our walk-in pantry was covered, wall to ceiling, with alligatored, chipping, peeling paint. A good friend of ours tried really hard to talk us into keeping it just like that. Theoretically, I admire a relic as much as the next guy, but it's much nicer to live in a house that isn't cracked and peeling.
    ...See More

Please comment on my layout ideas

Q

Comments (4)
    Great comments. Funny, you've all hit on some of the things I've stuggled with. @juliekcmo -I've played around with swapping the oven and the fridge. I'm not completely tied to it this way, but my thinking is that when I cook, I'm constantly going back and forth to the fridge. I often 'wing it' with recipes and they need a little splash of this or squirt of that. @michiganrachel - Yes that is a little cramped with the table. I've struggled with the rest of the furniture layout. The table is somewhat of a place holder and would be nice to have, but we would probably wait until everything is built out to see how much space we really have there. (BTW - former michigan girl here, transplanted to sunny california) @remodelfla - I don't think there's a good reason for the longer sink run in the second layout. I guess I had to move things down to fit the stove along that wall. Everyone commented on it, but I didn't notice until now :-). I could do the same with the other layout and that might make me feel better about cabinet space. I'm also uncertain about the prep sink. It would be nice to have a place for dirty stuff (and maybe DH could start cleanup sooner). I've just started to have a moderately successful veggie garden, I've been trying to figure out a work flow that doesn't involve fresh from the garden veggies sitting on the counter. I've always been a single sink person, but maybe a nice large double instead of prep sink would work. Oh and the stove will be a cooktop, with beautiful pot/pan drawers below. The wall oven will be a single oven with microwave above. I'm hoping to put a pullout shelf - like a cutting board, between the two, so I have a landing area for the microwave, since we tend to have lots of leftover nights. Thanks so much! -Karen
    ...See More
  • Buehl
    13 years ago

Prep Sink...If the prep sink is for prepping (i.e., a Prep Zone), then it's not very useful where it is.

However, if it's for a Snack/Beverage/Tea/Coffee Center, then it's placed in a pretty good location. It's separated from the main working part of the kitchen so those getting a snack/cup of tea are out of the way. It contains an UC refrigerator that could be used for beverages and things like jams & butter. I would put the MW in that area as well...but maybe on the end so it can be used by both those working in the kitchen as well as those just looking for a snack...w/o getting in each others way.

You also have room for a toaster and/or toaster oven. You could store dishes & utensils there for snacks, lunch making, tea/coffee needs, etc. Use a bottom drawer (or 2) for a "bread drawer".

What did you plan to store in the corner susan? Perhaps it could be used for small appliance storage. It's not right in the Prep Zone, but you don't have a lot of storage in your Prep Zone so I would rather see the small appliances stored elsewhere and keep the storage in the Prep Zone for more often used items like mixing bowls, etc.

All this depends, though, on where the doorways lead (the right goes to the DR, what about the top left and bottom doorways?)

Prep Zone...For a Prep Zone, you have approx 39" of space b/w the sink and range (15" + 18" + 6"). That's pretty good. As to the Cooking Zone, you really should have at least another 3" on the left of the range b/w it and the door. Some municipalities require 12" if the range is next to a doorway...so check your local Code.

Sink & Cabinets...About those 6" pullouts flanking the sink, do you really need them? I'd rather see the 6" on the left merged w/the 15" cab next to the range (to give you a 21" cabinet). Actually, I'd rather see both 6" pullouts moved to the left side of the sink b/w the range & sink. I recommend do something like this:
    12" cab + 30" range + 21" cab + 18" trash pullout + 36" sink + 36" corner susan

This gives you better emergency landing space on the left of the range, 39" of prep space b/w the range and sink, and a 36" sink base...with a double-bowl, 70/30 split sink.

3" of filler next to prep sink...if you absolutely must have filler there, then I recommend installing a 3" filler pullout instead. At least the space isn't wasted. However, I'd rather see those 3" either be merged with the 9" on the other side to make a 12" pullout/cabinet or be merged into the corner susan. Why? First, a 33" corner susan has a very small opening, especially if both sides are 33" wide (which yours appears to be). By making one side 36" wide, you add to the opening. Second, a "spice" pullout won't be very useful there b/c that's not where your prepping and cooking will take place. Third, you need a place for your trays, cookie sheets, cooling racks, etc., and that is a pretty good location...even if it stays 9".

I wonder if you could steal another 3" from the opening b/w the sink wall and the basement stairs. How wide is that opening? It looks to be 45"..."stealing" 3" would still leave you with a 42" opening. On second thought, maybe not. You don't appear to have accounted for counter overhangs and the fact that the range will stick out 27" to 30" from the wall.

Other concerns.... You have a lot of narrow cabinets...not only do they cost more in-total than wider cabinets, but they waste a lot of space b/c of the walls & frames of each and every cabinet.
    You also have only one fairly wide cabinet (24")...on the peninsula where it's not very useful for much except, maybe, dishes. It's too far away from the range and prep side of the sink to be of much use.
    You will also find that all those pullouts (9" & 6") don't really hold all that much.
    Aisle widths...your aisles are too narrow for that table...unless you have a place elsewhere to store it when not in use. It's too big to be floating around when not in use and creates a "barrier island" effect b/w the range and refrigerator, Prep Zone & refrigerator, and, potentially, b/w the sink and refrigerator. Additionally, as I mentioned before, you appear not to have accounted for the 1.5" overhangs on the counters. Standard cabinets are 24" deep, but standard counters are 25.5" deep.
    Plan for a refrigerator "alcove" a minimum of 36"W x 72"H. That seems to be the size refrigerators are "standardizing" on. Yes, you can find larger & smaller, but it's getting harder and harder to find smaller. So, if you have a smaller-than-"standard" alcove, you will have a difficult time finding a replacement refrigerator when you have to replace the current one.
    Doorway to DR...it's rather tight. You show maybe 30" b/w the counter and the wall on the bottom. Add in that 1.5" counter overhang and you're down to 28.5". Your refrigerator is 35"D (w/handles), but you only show about 33" or 34", at most. So, if your refrigerator sticks out another inch or two, that aisle is even narrower.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Is that a 30" wide range w/a 36" wide hood above?

• aloha2009
    13 years ago

If you don't have an informal eating area now (or even if you do you might be able to use it for something else) what if you eliminated the corner prep area completely and replaced it with a 48" round table. I'd move the frig to the right where the 24" and 12" cabinets are. This would still provide for two nice prep areas. You could have the entire wall of pantry where the frig was. I'd remove the movable island. You should have enough countertop space but you could always use the kitchen table on those rare times you need just a little more room. Maybe Buehl can do her magic with her software if she thinks this type of layout might work.

• blfenton
    13 years ago

Random thoughts: What about moving the fridge to the other side of the 35" doorway - anywhere in that corner or at the end of the sink run of cabinets (although putting it there lessens your counter space.. Right now you're walking a long way from the stove to the fridge and moving it to either wall of that corner brings it closer.

If I had 2-18" pantries I would be checking both because I'd be forgetting what I put where. If you move the fridge you could put a 30" pantry, the 24" mini fridge and a 15" drawer in that corner.

31" is way too narrow for aisles. Set it up using a couple of tables and try to turn around, try to have two people pass each other - won't work.

Pots and pans are going where? 24" drawers are too small and you have a lot of small drawers. There must be some way to combine them and get at least a bank of 30" or 36" drawers which are more useful. You could combine the 24" and 12" drawers that are at the end of the sink run into a 36" bank of drawers.
    I'm finding the configuration very choppy, with too many small cabinets and little cohesiveness to the space. If you can in your current kitchen, pretend that you are working in the space and see how it flows.

Why a two-tier peninsula? There aren't all that common anymore and 12" isn't a very useful depth for the higher level. (if I'm reading that right)

• numbersjunkie
    13 years ago

I agree with Buehls comment on the prep sink -not is a good place for prep but would be great for a coffee/snack area.
    I also agree with Blfenton that you should consider having the peninsula all one level. Better use of counter space and its easier to sit without climbing onto higher stools.

You did not say what kind of cabinets you are planning, but if you are getting framed or inset cabinets, many of your cabinets/drawers will be too narrow to be very functional. Even with frameless cabinets, I think 12" is borderline.

Don't get discouraged. Take your time, and listen to the good advice here.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Peninsula....I don't think there's seating there...it says "Two tier Peninsula 12" deep glass door wall cabinets plus Toekick". To me, that sounds like cabinets, not seating. I would, however, caution against glass cabinets...you run the risk of a chair or diner hitting a glass door and breaking it.

Pots & Pans...they can easily go in one of the corner susans.

I would also consider not putting in a toekick and making it more like fine furniture.

OK...slow day today, so I spent time coming up with 4 different layouts..

Two questions, first: Can the bottom doorway be moved and/or enlarged? Can the wall on the DR side be shortened by 3" to 6"?

The second question is asked b/c you don't really have enough aisle space there as it stands. You may have to shorten the peninsula run by 6" or so. Or, you could shorten the wall by 3" and the peninsula by 3". B/c of the refrigerator on the bottom wall, shortening the wall be 6" wouldn't help.

Here are the layouts.

The first one tries to keep the "spirit" of the original layout, in case there's an emotional reason for it. I did, however, try to maximize your storage potential.

The second, appears, to me, more functional. I shortened the DR wall by 6" in this one and lengthened the peninsula to around your original length. (B/c the refrigerator is now out of the aisle to the DR, shortening the wall by 6" will work to give you a better aisle.) It also moves & enlarges the bottom doorway to maximize that wall and it's potential.

If neither can be done you can still do something similar, but you'll have to shorten the "Snack/Beverage Center" by 24" and make that Center quite a bit smaller.

The last two attempt to put a small, fixed island in the kitchen rather than a movable/portable table. The advantages are that you can have electricity in the island and you gain more storage.

Layout #1:

Layout #2:

Layout #3:

Layout #4:

• marthasunny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for your wonderful ideas. Shortly after I posted the original layout idea, we had a problem with the internet service at our house. Ahh.... the joys that 3 feet of snow can bring. I couldn't post anything. When I finally had a chance to look at all of your ideas on this forum, I felt so touched. Thank you for your input.

I've changed our plans since then, and I'll send you our most recent layouts based upon your comments. Which one do you prefer?

This is A.
    {{gwi:1652225}}

• marthasunny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is B.
    {{gwi:1652227}}

• User
    13 years ago

I like A better, but there are some things about "B" that I don't get (why does anyone need three sinks??).

One suggestion is to change the 18 pantry/fridge/18 pantry into a 36 inch pantry and fridge (in whichever order makes sense to you).

Pantry "boxes" are expensive, so one large one is much more cost effective than two small ones. And, one wide shelf is much more flexible/usable for storage than two narrow ones.

• blfenton
    13 years ago

Plan A but switch the double ovens and fridge and don't split the pantries. Fridge should be closer to prep area as you use it more often that the ovens. Having said that, I'll be honest - I don't really care for either. They're rather chopped up but I will bow out and give the floorplan gurus their chance.

• herbflavor
    13 years ago

Is your house eclectic, hi end or period in any way? I see a double island kitchen there-esp if you could cozy up to tuscan or country french or similar. It is quite lg I gaather because your main dining area is off to the side. You are working from your perimeter inward-and have doorways to mind. So I would do dbl islands with a kitchen designer-I've seen gorgeous ones written up and people find they work well after acclimating to the concept. Sure-some stuff will still be on your walls-but your walls are broken up so much. Get that middle of the room thing going here-your space is large.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Where do the other doors lead? What is grocery entry door? How much do you use a dining room?

re A: How likely are you to use that peninsula seating area--is it convenient or inconvenient to quick stops? Is it a chore to go that deep into the room or will people pass by it frequently?

Two parallel islands is interesting idea.

• marthasunny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

1. I already have the 18 inch pantries (two of them). Thus, I need to use them.

2. Hmmm... In terms of the island idea, here it is. What do you think? Thanks, buehl, for the inspiration. Thank you to the rest of you too. :-)

{{gwi:1652230}}

I'm also including a partial layout of our house.

{{gwi:1652232}}

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

In that last layout, why have you removed the leg of cabinets along the wall to the dining room?

Ok, and now, here are some questions. Let's back up and not talk about the proposed layouts at all. I get the sense that not enough planning has gone into how you actually use the kitchen, and that really is key--a layout that works for me might not work for you, depending on how we use the kitchen. So:

1. How many people in the household? What ages? Are you anticipating any new members (babies, in-laws moving in...) or any members leaving (kid to college...)?
    2. Any pets, and if so do they eat in the kitchen? Do they enter the house from outside through the kitchen door?
    3. What door do you come in when bringing groceries in? Is it the same door you use when coming in from other parts of the house? And how often do people use the door to the outside?
    4. Is the dining room formal or informal? How often is it used?
    5. How often do you cook family meals at home? What kinds of cooking do you tend to use for that: sauteeing, baking (e.g. roast chicken or lasagna or premade oven meals), pasta, etc?
    6. How often do you bake?
    7. How many people are cooks, and how many of them tend to be working in the kitchen at the same time?
    8. Is there much snacking/reheating leftovers/making coffee or tea in your family?
    9. What about drinking (apart from coffee/tea): do you drink at all, and if so is it more wine or more beer or more cocktails or what? Where are those beverages stored and where would you like them to be?
    10. How often do people use the basement, and what do they use it for (game room? Laundry? etc.)? Is that door in the corner of the kitchen the only or the most convenient door to the basement?
    11. What is the kitchen used for (or would you like it to be used for) apart from cooking? Is it "command central" for the household? Is it where you do or would like to eat breakfast? Is it for homework? For paying bills? For entertaining? Etc.

I think you'll get more targeted advice, and perhaps we all (including you) will think of some things that hadn't crossed our minds before, if you give us that "bigger perspective" on your kitchen.

• marthasunny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

1. Two people in the household... future children planned. We are in the adoption process.
    2. No pets currently; future dog planned
    3. When bringing in groceries, we come in through the 35" doorway with molding
    4. The dining room is informal and used all of the time.
    5. Stovetop cooking is not a big priority. We want to have room for a microwave, George Foreman, a toaster, and other as-seen-on-TV cooking devices. We bake infrequently.
    6. The more refrigerator space, the better. We preheat frozen food a lot.
    7. We bake once a month.
    8. We need a two cook kitchen. My husband and I like to share in the responsibility at the same time.
    9. There is a need for lots of spaces for snacking/reheating leftovers/making coffee or tea.
    10. We rarely drink alcohol.
    11. We use the basement several times a week for laundry and storage. The door in the corner of the kitchen is the only door to the basement.
    12. We'd like to use the kitchen for "hanging out during parties". We'd also like to use it for girlscout / boyscout cooking badges.

• marthasunny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That being said, I think that the following layout works really well for us. (I'm tired of thinking through layouts.)

{{gwi:1652234}}

The blue area next to the pantry / refrigerator area is shelving in between studs.

• cheri127
    13 years ago

If you want a space for making coffee etc, I would swap the undercounter fridge with the space to park your rolling cart. I love having the coffee/breakfast area where the refrigerator is. We don't have to take any steps at all to make and prepare coffee, cereal, toast etc. We do have to get water from the sink 3 steps away (what a hardship!). A one level peninsula counter may also be more useful especially for scout cooking badges. Having a large continuous counter space comes in handy for many things. A 12" raised counter is not deep enough for much (most plates are 11" wide).

As to the rolling cart. It seems a shame to give up another drawer base to store the cart. Since the DR is informal, would it be possible to store it in the there in the corner near the kitchen. Not quite as accessible as having it under the counter but might not be too bad.

Another thing worth considering is ditching the spice pull out in favor of having your ovens completely in the kitchen (if I'm reading your drawing correctly, it looks like they project slightly into the DR). You can fit an amazing amount of spices in the top drawer of the 15" base next to the range.

One last thing. The two wall cabinets to the right of the sink would serve you better as one large cabinet with two doors. You'll fit a whole lot more into it than you will in the two smaller ones.

I know you're getting tired of doing layouts, but this is the most critical phase of your remodel. Hang in there until you get it as right as it can be. It'll be worth it!

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

Congratulations on starting the adoption process. I hope that goes really quickly and smoothly for you. Some friends of mine adopted from Ethiopia two years ago and are incredibly happy with their son. I wish you the same joy. One thing to consider, if you're planning on adopting an infant, is making it as convenient as possible to feed them. That means keeping all the bottles and accessories (nipples, cleaning supplies, bottle warmer...) somewhere that you can easily do the entire process (clean bottles, put them away/take them out, store, mix and warm the formula) in one place. Obviously you won't need that functionality forever, so also think about what that space will become when your babies have become children; maybe you should put it adjacent to the snack area, so the snack area can just get bigger as the kids grow.

I know it's a hassle to go through all these layouts, but remember, that is NOTHING compared to the hassle of living with a badly designed kitchen for the next decade or however long. Put in the time now to make your life easier later. You won't regret it.

So here are some questions and suggestions:

You bake infrequently (once a month), so why get a double oven? A single oven and the counter space above it (where you could keep your George Foreman grill or your microwave) seems like it'd be much more useful for you. Also, am I misunderstanding the layouts? It looks like you have both a 30" range AND a double oven. Is that a 30" range or a 30" cooktop? If it's a range, then you would have three ovens... why, since you bake so infrequently?

If you want the flexibility of having more oven space for those rare occasions when you need it, I think you would love a convection oven (see link below--there are tons of these from all different brands, of course). They are basically speed ovens capable of baking or roasting anything a regular oven can bake or roast (but it cooks much faster), but when you're NOT using them to bake, you just use them as a microwave. So with a 30" range and a convection microwave, you would be set. And you would save a ton of money, in addition to gaining more storage and more counterspace.

And that's the other reason to ditch the double oven. Counterspace is even more precious for you, with the way you live, than it is for the average family. That's because you're a two-cook family, so you need prep space for two people working simultaneously--and you plan on having boy scouts/girl scouts in there sometimes, making it way more than a two-cook kitchen at times--and also, you like a lot of "as seen on TV" cooking devices. You need counterspace to use them on; the ones you use daily (toaster, etc.) would be most convenient if they lived on the counter, but even though you would probably store the ones you use less frequently, you'll still want enough counter space that you don't have to clear off the counter every time you want to use them. So you need counterspace not just for prep and a toaster, but for several other devices too. And the other need for counterspace comes from the snacking, reheating leftovers, etc. part of the equation. So in other words, counterspace is A LOT more important for you than having multiple ovens.

You use the dining room all the time and would like the kitchen to be a hangout for entertaining, and appropriately for that, you've put a counter with seating (seats in the dining room) where those two rooms meet. So you were right to ditch the little table in the kitchen shown in one of your layouts. You don't need more seating there; it would just get in the way.

Since you bring groceries in the door shown at the bottom of the layout, having the fridge near there is convenient. For groceries, most people like to put them on a counter or tabletop and start putting them away from there, rather than setting them on the floor. If you prefer that too, then you'll need a decent amount of countertop near the fridge. None of your layouts have that, except the ones that have some kind of table or cart in the middle of the kitchen--but people have expressed concerns that your kitchen's size and layout would make a central table or cart more of an obstacle than a help.

So, putting aside for a moment the fact that you bought two 18" pantries already--maybe there's somewhere else for them to go, and if not you certainly wouldn't be the first person to buy something that she ended up not being able to use (many people sell their "oops" purchases on Craigslist or donate them for a tax deduction, or put them elsewhere like the garage or basement)--anyway, leaving out the pantries for now, is there a layout you can come up with that gives you counterspace right next to the fridge? I think the one you posted on Feb 10 at 0:35, with the table in the kitchen, is a good start--keep the fridge there, but instead of a double oven, have a counter that runs along that bottom wall almost all the way to the door where you bring groceries in. Given the dimensions, this counter would be an L shape. It would be a deep counter right beside the fridge, but a great place to keep "as seen on TV" devices that you use less often and a great place to put groceries that you've just brought in.

Since you preheat frozen food a lot, would it make sense to have a freezer in the basement? Or is your house laid out in such a way that that's too far away? If a basement freezer doesn't make sense, what about having a mini-freezer instead of a mini-fridge under one of the counters?

Here is a link that might be useful: Panasonic Convection Microwave

• marthasunny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

All of you, thank you for your wonderful advice. Kitchen layout planning feels similar to writing a 50 page paper in college and hoping for an A or to preparing for a masters thesis presentation. I have a new found respect for the kitchen layout gurus on these forums. It's definitely a way that you contribute to society in a big way. Since the kitchen is the hub of the family, your advice is making an impact on everyday lives and the formation of family. Thank you!

With that said, I've taken your advice to heart. Here is the newest layout.

{{gwi:1652236}}

• marthasunny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are your options. Which one would work best and look the nicest?

{{gwi:1652238}}

• cheri127
    13 years ago

I like A best. It looks like it will feel more open and it's good to have a landing space next to the fridge. Your new layout doesn't show any wall cabinets on the sink wall. Are you eliminating them or did you just not draw them in? If they are gone, where will you store your dishes? You also show two microwaves. Will you really have two? Above the oven is a great place to put tray/cookie sheet/roasting pan storage (vertical). I'm not home so I can't take a pic right now and post it but I will tomorrow. It's one of my favorite things about my new kitchen. With that in mind, you could do away with the 9" pullout on the peninsula, move the small fridge to the other leg of that run and have a bigger space to store a bigger, more useful cart (an 18" work space is really small...I'd be knocking things on the floor all of the time).

One other question. How big is your hood going to be?

• blfenton
    13 years ago

A. I don't think you want the fridge right beside the doorway because as you open the door you would block the doorway. Now that I look at it more closely I actually have Plan A except that it is reversed. It is 5' away from the stove directly across the room and is handy for taking things out while cooking. Mine is 88" and includes 24" pantry, 36"fridge, 8" pull-out broom closet and 18" desk unit just like your picture. It too is a stand-alone configuration and I find it to be really functional.

• marthasunny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That is very reassuring. Please send pictures of your kitchen with similar floorplans.

Incorporating your decisions, the kitchen layout is below. This will hopefully be one that my husband, our future adopted children, our future dog, and I can enjoy. Holiday parties, here we come, I think. :-)

Anyway, please do what you've been doing so nicely. Offer feedback. I love all constructive criticism.

{{gwi:1652241}}

• marthasunny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

By the way, I'm including the 18W opening for the rolling cart because this is where our HVAC system is located. The rolling cart can be placed somewhere else when we need the HVAC system to be functioning.

Outside of electrical work, plumbing, and putting in cabinets, we're doing the installation ourselves, and not messing with the HVAC is one less thing to worry about.