SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Did your parents smoke?

alisande
16 years ago

I've had some health issues over the years, and rightly or wrongly I've always tended to blame the radiation I was exposed to at age 6 or 7 when x-ray was used to destroy my adenoids.

But both my parents smoked, and I wonder how my childhood exposure to second-hand smoke has impacted my health as an adult. New research is always coming out about the dangers of second-hand smoke, especially to children.

Back when I was born, no one knew anything about the hazards of smoking. I remember reading that pregnant women should take up smoking to help them relax. I'm sure my mother smoked throughout her pregnancy, and both my parents smoked around me all the time. I have vivid memories of feeling sick during car rides, the car filled with smoke.

My mother died when I was nine, and my dad quit smoking when I was a teenager. (He lived to be 90, by the way.) I started smoking myself at 14, and quit 14 years later.

Of course, it makes no sense to look for something to blame at this point, but I would like to think that my health problems are mine alone, and not something my children, who grew up in a smoke-free home, might be predisposed to.

Did your parents smoke? What are your thoughts on this?

Susan

Comments (39)