SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenwebber

Layout changes again

16 years ago

Hi guys! We are now fully gutted as I said in a previous post and now working on electrical and framing. I am just popping in again with my most recent final layout and would love some insight/opinions. I posted one a couple weeks ago that I thought was "it" then realized that I couldnt have tray storage above the fridge in that plan, and that I didnÂt like the range on that interior wall, So back to the drawing board I went.

A quick recap - our plan was to have the kitchen to left, "everyday" dining to the right while our formal DR is being used as a playroom for 9, 6, and 2 year old kiddos.

Well, I must say that I have come to a realization that the right side of my kitchen as you look at the diagram is not big enough for an "everyday" table that can seat 5. It would probably work, but it would really cramp up the space. So we have decided to turn our former DR/playroom into a DR and move the kids toys all upstairs into a 2nd floor playroom. So, I am thinking of moving our computer into that space in the kitchen (we have a desk armoire that will work really well there) and just using our DR as a DR (not necessarily a "formal" one, but more of a DR/sitting room.)

Here is a drawing of my latest:

{{gwi:1651863}}

I would greatly appreciate your opinions and any suggestions regarding the following details/issues:

1. Doorway  the doorway at the bottom of the drawing between the kitchen and DR will be getting framed in this weekend and I am not sure how wide I would like the opening. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what will look best from inside the kitchen AND inside the DR, plus will function well? There are two other doorways in the DR, one is 60" wide (by front entry) and one is 32" wide (to FR). I could remove it completely... or I could put in something smaller and gain more DR wall space for maybe another piece of furniture. Any thoughts? Here is a shot of the actual doorway in question as it is currently. Taken from inside the kitchen, the table is in the spot where the fridge and 12" pantry closet will be:

{{gwi:1651864}}

2. Island - What does everyone think about my island design? My island requirements are:

- must seat 3 comfortably, 5 when necessary with spare stools that will only be used when needed

- big enough to be useful but not so big that it commands the whole room

- would like enough space around it so people can walk around it somewhat comfortably

- must house silverware and cutlery, baggies and wraps, and tuppeware.

Have I achieved all of this in the best way possible?

3. Fridge/pantry  I realize that my fridge and food storage (over to the far right of the L in the 30" uppers/lowers) are on opposite ends of my L. but I donÂt think this can be avoided. I am thinking that at least people can visit the snack cupboard and fridge separately without getting in eachotherÂs way - does this sound reasonable?

4. 12" pantry closet  I have this designed next to the fridge. Above the fridge, I would like to keep tray storage and next to it in the closet I would like to keep two folding "spare" stools, a step stool, and a dustpan/broom. This should work, shouldnÂt it? It will be 24" deep.

5. Above sink  Instead of another cabinet, I am planning on a shelf there where I can keep my cookbooks. It will be 42" wide and sit about 24" above the sink. I think I'd rather have a place for cookbooks than a plate rack, but its hard to visualize - will this look ok?

I also will have a built-in pantry shown in the lower right side labeled "P". It will be for bulk items.

Any other comments or observations are welcome. Thank for your patience in reading all my threads.

Comments (14)