SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluewhale_gw

Thick Exterior Paint Issue

bluewhale
19 years ago

I've been in this home for 17 years(!). a few years ago the exterior paint started flaking in places. The house is a single story stucco unit built in 1940.

I first noticed the paint cracking along what must have been repair lines in the stucco. The PO apparently did crack repairs, leaving each repaired crack looking a bit like a scar on the wall ( sticking out from the wall a bit, like they hadn't scrapped the repair material flush with the extant walls ). As things have progressed I find small sheets of the paint curling up/out/around then falling off. What shows underneath appears to be either original white paint or primer and looks very old/faded.

I thought to go at the problem with my power washer ( 2500 psi ), and where the paint is peeling already that works well. However where the paint is Not peeling it takes about 15 min to blast a square foot clean.

The peeling paint is really thick. More than 1/16th inch as far as I can tell. My guess is that since this house used to be adjacent to a major freeway ( they have since erected a 3-4 story sound wall blocking most of the vibration and perhaps direct pollution ) the PO intentionally made the paint extra thick and perhaps flexible. The house had been up for sale two or three times in prior years according to my agent.

At this point blasting the entire house at 1 square foot every 15 min seems a bit much. Instead I am thinking of blasting all loose/peeling paint then priming it all then painting.

1: Does this sound reasonable to you?

2: In the few areas I have tried not blasting it all clear to stucco it is easy to tell where the old paint is and where clear stucco is. Does anyone make a primer that is thick enough to blur these edges and make the bare stucco appear less porous?

Paul

Comments (13)