SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_li

What can I make with these??

kathleen_li
16 years ago

{{gwi:1563153}}

I have 3 really big red peppers. I don't eat peppers, so other than frying them for sausage and peppers, or pepper steak, what can I make? I am having 5 for lunch Wed, so should I roast them, or just put them out sliced for those who like them to add to their salad?? Any creative ideas? I don't want it to be part of the main meal, just an appy or side.

Thanks...

Comments (17)

• User
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Roast them and serve in this starter salad for your lunch on Wednesday and freeze the rest. Roasted peppers freeze well.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

=======================================
    Source: Judith Huxley's - Table for Eight

4 large red bell peppers
    6 Tablespoons olive oil
    1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 tablespoon minced shallot
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 bunch watercress, washed and dried
    . Broil or roasted the peppers until the skins are blackened and
    blistered. Place them in a plastic bag and let them sit for about 10
    minutes, or until they are cool enough to handle. Rub off the skins,
    seed the peppers, and cut into thin strips. Mix the oil and lemon
    juice and add to the peppers. Add the minced shallot and salt and
    pepper. Set aside. Just before serving place the watercress in a
    bowl, add the peppers with the dressing and toss.

• Adnama
    16 years ago

I love peppers and prefer eating them raw to anything else!

The easiest thing to do is slice them up and serve them (with carrots or celery if you want to have non-pepper options) with a dip. Since they're in season right now, that is what I'd do. (If you're having five for lunch, someone is bound to eat them up for you!)

Diced and added to quesadilla filling or on top of a tostada.

Added to your favorite hummus recipe.

Thrown in the food processor with some tomato, onion, jalapeno and oregano to make fresh salsa.

As part of a make-your-own green salad always works.

Added to a pasta salad works well, too--they can go in raw, roasted or brined.

~Amanda

• Related Discussions

Gee... what can I make with these????

Q

Comments (6)
    mzclassic ... a couple ideas: ...You know that beautiful wind turbine that you painted all those gorgeous colors... could you pick one color and pour paint inside a tube & swirl around...then another tube do another color, etc., using the colors of your turbine...and hang them from a circle or a horizontal something (of some material) to make a windchime (altho' not really "chime-ing!") And locate it somewhere near your turbine. ...you could make a wonderful hummingbird feeder if you can find a cork/tubing l-l/2" dia. Let us know how you do! Jeanne S.
    ...See More

What can I make with these chilies

Q

Comments (4)
    Do you like relishes? There are some great hot pepper or hot pepper and onion relish recipes. You can also add some mixed sweet peppers to them for a Sweet n' Hot sauce or relish. And dried peppers will store almost indefinitely if you have a dehydrator. Many folks will dry them and then crush/pulverize to make chili powders that can be used as a seasoning in all sorts of recipes. When all else fails, freeze them for later use. peppers freeze beautifully. Just core them lay out on a cookie sheet to individually freeze them for a couple of hours and then pop them all into a ziplock bag. They are good to use for years. Dave
    ...See More

what can I make with antique pharmacy bottles, or how to display

Q

Comments (7)
    Wow! Lobelia, rhubarb, witch hazel, Mandrake!, myrrh, and something without aloe. Rather an amazing collection. I would love to know how some of these still common plants were used. I too would be concerned about preserving the labels. Maybe take a nice picture of them sitting on an old wooden crate with your black cat in front and sell as a poster. I'm tempted to suggest a shelf above a doorway in your kitchen, but if its like my kitchen they would get dirty. Glass cabinet may be the way to go. Kathy
    ...See More

what can I make with rice sticks, chicken...

Q

Comments (3)
    Total ignorant question: Can I make a red curry sauce with chicken and onions and serve it over the rice sticks? Oh, and Dcarch, your pantry is obviously better stocked than mine. Don't have sesame oil, green onions or sirracha sauce (yet I have candied ginger--go figure)
    ...See More
  • khandi
    16 years ago

Cut them up and freeze them to add to your spaghetti sauces.

• compumom
    16 years ago

Roast them and add them to a tomato soup recipe. I have a favorite one in a cookbook. If you're interested, I can post the recipe later tonight.

• sigh
    16 years ago

Roast them & serve with fresh mozzarella & basil as a salad... or as a sandwich on Italian bread with smoked mozzarella & a smear of tapenade.

I love roast peppers and those beauties are just begging to be roasted!

Nina

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Compumom, thanks for the offer..I already have the soup course, so kind of you!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

My favorite way to eat them is roasted (skin blackened and removed) then sliced thin and placed on top of goat cheese bruschetta - good baguette or artisan bread sliced thin, rubbed with garlic and topped with goat cheese. Toast until edges are crispy and cheese is soft. Top with peppers and drizzle with olive oil. I could eat this every day.

• User
    16 years ago

Kathlen, here is a fabulous (if I do say so myself) soup recipe. You can make it from fresh peppers roasted now or from frozen roasted red peppers. Top it up with a dollop of creme fraiche or sour cream....sooooooooo good!

If you don't want to use them now roast them and seed them and then freeze in ziplocks for another day. I do a bushel every year. I use them in soup, pasta, antipasti platters....love em!

Roasted Red Pepper Soup

4 Red Bell Peppers roasted, seeded & peeled
    2 TBSP Butter (Or Margarine)
    1 Red Onion Chopped
    2 Garlic Cloves Minced
    4 Cup Chicken Broth
    1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
    Salt And Pepper

To taste Saute onions and garlic in butter until soft. Add red peppers. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Add broth cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add lemon juice. Process in food processor until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Place back on stove until ready to serve.

NOTE: To roast the peppers, place them under the broiler or on a grill. Turn as each side blackens. Place blackened peppers in a plastic bag until cool. Then peel and seed.

• hawk307
    16 years ago

HI Kathleen : I roast them too, either in a Broiler or on a barbecue, until they are blackened.
    Then I put them in a pot with a lid, until cooled.
    I do thisa way to save all the Juices.
    Take them out of the pot and peel the skins.
    Remove the seeds and slice them.
    Place in a Jar with Olive Oil, a good bit of Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, a pinch of Black Pepper, Salt

and an Italian pinch of Oregano.

Now you can use them in Whatever !!!!! Salads, Etc.

I like them in a Pepper and Egg Omlet, Sausage and Peppers, or you can freeze them for later

Of course, I don't expect you to try them like this.

Just thought I'd put in my suggestion, anyway.

If you do try it, let me know and I'll sing " When Irish Eyes are Smilin " on St Patty's Day.

Did you know, I was the best Irish Tenor in North America ?

LOU

• User
    16 years ago

So Lou how about you try my soup......You try mine I'll try yours!

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you , all of you, and great ideas. I think I will do some raw and roast the others and put on bruchetta with mozz or goat cheese. I will make the soup, since you say I can freeze the peppers, they had a good sale this week, 88 a lb.
    Lou, you make me laugh. I am going to put some in my olive oil and do it like you said. Really! Sounds good... And you can sing, I'll take you home again, Kathleen! I'd like that!
    Chase, have your tried Lou's fluffy cheescake?? LOL
    He gets pouty if we don't make it, and I promised the next time I make cheescake I will use his recipe.
    I appreciate you taking the time to give me your recipes and ideas.

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Chase: I have made soup almost the same as your's.
    You really don't have to make my Cheesecake.

Kathleen: I remembered a very easy Recipe that I had tucked away in Microsoft Works.

Hi Everyone: I did the Red bell Pepper thing tonight
    "Aglio e olio con pepe" Spaghetti w Olive Oil & Red Peppers

Recipe:
    I simmered a sliced red bell pepper and 5 Garlic cloves chopped, in 1/2 cup of Olive Oil. You can sub Garlic Powder
    Threw in a 1/2 cup water with a teaspoon of Chicken flavored Soup Base.
    Loaded it with Chopped Parsley, Basil Flakes ( the top fell off, so I added a little more Basil ) pinch of Oregano, onion powder , Black pepper and a pinch of ground red pepper. Simmered till peppers were soft.
    Meanwhile , I cooked 1/2 pound of spaghetti #9, drained it and put the pepper mess on this and mixed it.
    While the spaghetti was hot I beat an egg in 1/2 cup of water and dumped this on top and mixed it good,
    with some grated Parmesan Cheese and salt to taste. Added more Cheese when served.
    It was delicious!!!!!!!!! You have to try it.

LOU

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Kathleen: I remember that song from a John Wayne Westerner.
    The troops sang a Seranade to Maureen O'Hara.

LOU

• lindac
    16 years ago

Wash one...or 2...cut the top off remove veins and seeds carefully without messing up the pepper.
    Mix cottage cheese, with some chopped green onion, some grated parmesan and a bit of chili sauce and stuff it into the pepper. Wrap and chill and serve with crackers cut into wedges as an appetiser.
    Linda C

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

You could slice this up into small squares and pass them around on a plate as an appetizer with drinks (and paper napkins).

This is one version of the delicious cocas prepared on the Spanish Balearic Islands. They are sold in nearly every bakery and are often eaten out of hand while standing up in the bakery, as a breakfast on the way to work, or as an afternoon snack on the way home or after school. They are usually eaten at room temperature and make wonderful side dishes for a cold summer buffet, picnic or evening snack.

There are many variations of coca and in winter the peppers may be substituted by Swiss chard or spinach and without tomatoes. Here is one recipe which is also know as 'Coca de Tremp. Often the red peppers are skinned and in strips, and accompanied on top of the coca by artichoke hearts, olives and anchovies. This would be called 'Coca Amb Pebres', where 'pebres' are the red peppers in the Mallorquin dialect.

(From the Island of Mallorca)

Ingredients for 4 people:

4 cups (500 grams) all purpose flour
    1 oz (25 grams fresh yeast or 1 pkg dry yeast
    4 TBS olive oil
    1/4 cup (2 oz or 50 grams) lard
    3 medium Italian sweet green peppers or green bell peppers cut in small pieces
    3 spring onions - cut in small pieces including all the stalk
    3 ripe medium sized tomatoes- sliced finely
    1 clove of garlic - sliced finely
    1 handful of Italian flatleaf parsley, chopped
    1 TBS of sweet red paprika
    salt
    water - 1 cup lukewarm

1) Turn on the oven and set temperature at 375 F (191 C)

2) Put the warm water in a mixing bowl (preferrable one of porcelain or terracotta) and dissolve the yeast in it.

3) Add the lard and the olive oil. Add the flour gradually, mixing in by hand until the mixture leaves the side of the bowl.

4) Form a ball and let it rest for a few minutes while you prepare the vegetables.

5) Chop and slice vegetables into a large bowl, add the paprika and some salt and mix all together.

6) Lightly oil either a round pan of about 13" diameter (32 Cm) or a rectangular pan 13" x 11" (32 Cm x 27 Cm) both with a depth of approx 1/2 inch (1 cm). A cookie sheet or oven tray would be ideal.

7) Place dough in centre and carefully stretch it out with palms of hands, patting to fit pan, keeping an even thickness. It should be thin.

8) Arrange vegetables evenly on top of the dough, drizzling at the same time with olive oil and salt.

9) Put coca into oven for about 1 hour or until crust is lightly golden and vegetables are cooked. After taking it out of the oven, drizzle a little more olive oil on top.

10)You can eat this hot or cold.
    In winter the vegetables may be swiss chard or spinach, substituting the peppers, but also used raw and finely chopped.

Source: translated from "Cocina Balear" Ana Maria Calera
    Editorial Everest - Leon (España)

SharonCb

• maggie2094
    16 years ago

Those are nice looking, Kathleen. Sharon - that pic is gorgeous - saving that recipe. I can remember my trip to Mallorca:)

This is close to what Lindac suggested:

Roasted Red Pepper Dip

1 clove garlic
    2 green onions
    2 Tbsp. fresh basil (or 1 tsp. dried)
    1 Large roasted red bell pepper (or 1/2 cup roasted red bell pepper from a jar)
    1/2 cup light cream cheese
    2 tsp. olive oil
    1 tsp., lemon juice
    salt and pepper to taste
    pinch sugar
    dash cayenne pepper or hot sauce

Yield about 1 cup - I usually double and don't measure exactly. I use a food processor to process until smooth. Chill well before serving.

• woodie
    16 years ago

I cry when I listen to "I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen". I have a recording from when we were in Ireland in June and I play it all the time in the car! I cry every time.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor