SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

bring the task to the tool.

talley_sue_nyc
19 years ago

I have a new trick that I'm hoping will eliminate some of the "set it down and put it away later" problems I create for myself.

Here's how I came up w/ this:

I needed to cut the tag off DD's shirt. I laid the shirt down on the DR table (my only workspace in my home), walked into the LR to get the scissors from their stash, back to the table, and cut off the tag. I handed her the shirt, tossed the tag, and went on to do something else--and later realized I'd left the scissors out.

Next time, I didn't set the shirt down--I carried it over to where the scissors are stored, cut off the tag, put the scissors back, dropped the tag in the garbage, and handed the kid the shirt.

Less walking around, true. But the biggie is, less opportunity to leave something sitting out somewhere.

now, for example, if I get a small box in the mail and need to cut through the tape, I take the box to the utility knife in the hall closet. Fewer trips, and I'm less likely (make that "completely unlikely" to leave the utility knife out.

This isn't always feasible--for example, if the box is too big to carry around, I bring the knife to the box.

I may also need to consider storing some stuff--like scissors and utility knife--somewhere near a counter or table. Maybe I can create a new "utility" drawer in the kitchen--in that 9"-wide drawer.

Comments (9)