SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paucie

One room hotter than the rest of the house?

paucie
15 years ago

This isn't really a heating/cooling issue as this happens whether we're running the heat/AC or not. So I'm helping some fellow old-home owners can help me out.

I'm very frustrated that my daughter's bedroom is consistently HOT. Her room is SE facing on the second floor. Yesterday, it was 70 on the first floor, 70 in the other 2nd floor bedrooms, and 77 in her room.

I believe this is primarily caused from the sun, as we've now been here almost a year, and we had this issue all winter. Even though we have her vent about 90% closed as well as drapes and shades drawn, I would still have to keep the thermostat quite low on sunny days to avoid her room getting too warm. Now, it's another beautiful day here, and I'm running the AC just to cool her room!

The first home improvement we did when we moved in was to add insulation to the attic. I thought that would help. We added the foam type up to what's recommended for our area - which I believe is R-49. Did they not do it properly? What else can I do to combat this problem?

Comments (8)