SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindybarts_gw

Mixing Black and White furniture

15 years ago

I am trying to figure out how to re-do my dd's room. Her white bedroom set is being passed down to little Sister with the exception of the Armoire which won't fit in Sister's room. DD really wants dark wood furniture this time (she's almost 9) and saw the photo of Miley Cyrus' bedroom on another thread. She really loves this look and wants to duplicate these colors if possible.

If I get black furniture would it look okay if she keeps the white armoire? She also has a built in desk that is white. The furniture sales lady today tried to convince me that it would look cool but she obviously just wanted to sell me the bed. What do you think of mixing black and white furniture?

Here's the inspiration room (thanks to klb9596 for posting it on another thread)

Comments (52)

• 15 years ago

Ta-daaaa! I found an example of just what I was thinking about. Here I was kicking myself again for not being able to Photoshop my idea so I started my Google-Fu.

Adding a decor panel to the doors will keep the amoire from looking like a refigerator in a room of black furniture. The panel can help carry the theme of the room too.

• 15 years ago

I don't see any problem at all with mixing those two.

Dilly's ideas are great!

• Related Discussions

Mixing white painted furniture with natural.

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi all, I am new to this forum and have been pondering over buying a new console TV stand. I am sorry I don't have any pics to make it more interesting! I have a light green sofa and a light khacki color chair. My living room is very small - thats all that fits. I also have a side table that is painted wood in white, and another small white table for the chair. The carpet is chocolate brown but at some point I am going to put in a wood or laminated wood floor. The trim is painted in a creamy white. I would like to have some natural wood in the room and am thinking about what finish for the console. I would love to order the dark brown finish, but they also have a golden brown. There is also a soft white finish but I would like to mix in a natural wood for more warmth. It seems the dark finish would go with a lot more that the yellowish brown to me - but the yellowish brown is a lot lighter tone. I am thinking of also putting in natural wood tables at some point, but thinking about what would be the most versatile. I would really apreciate any feedback you would like to give. Thank You
    ...See More

Can you mix cream furniture with white trim?

Q

Comments (13)
    Thanks so much Lynn. I used to know what the floor is. I'm pretty sure it's three-inch quarter sawn white oak. The stain is a custom stain that's mostly natural with a little nutmeg. It's a Swedish finish. Annz, funny you should mention the rug because that is what we're starting with: a very colorful bold rug which I absolutely love--but had been wondering about what furniture to put on it. The cream or beige definitely answers that question. I'd love to see photos of your room.
    ...See More

How can I mix white and black furniture?

Q

Comments (11)
    I currently don't have the majority of my own furniture from home moved in yet- my college and apartment are four hours away from my home so I've been moving things piece by piece. This quarantine situation hasn't been much help either since I'm working more than before both as an essential employee and an online tutor. I've been able to manage with the lack of furniture because I've learned to pack fairly light after living in a dorm room for nearly 4 years. Plus, I plan on using some of my white furniture in my future classroom (I'm an education major), so a decent amount of what I have with me currently won't stay in the apartment. That's why I haven't posted any photos yet! I can post photos of individual pieces (that I have here and that I'll bring from home) if that would be helpful!
    ...See More

Which Shows Less Dirt: White or Black Paint? Mix Garage & Front Doors?

Q

Comments (10)
    If the storm door is the actual factory finish, I would not paint it. Dog toenails will have that scratched in no time. I would not be using magic eraser on your door either, it ruins the finish. If you have a problem removing mud etc off the door, use a bottle of original windex and spray it, and it will wipe right off. A bottle of awesome from the dollar store, works great too. I have a Beagle, that does the same thing, when he wants in, but, he is confined to the back of the house, so its the back door, not my front or side entrance. I also have a storm door guard on the bottom half of the door, to protect the door itself from his paws. I have black trim and doors in my house, and I love them, but, I would not want them on my outside doors, because, yes, they show every spot.
    ...See More
  • 15 years ago

Hey Dilly, I can't tell from that picture but do you think that's paint? Stencils? I tried searching for decorative panels and didn't see anything. I love how that looks in your picture above! Thanks again for helping!

• 15 years ago

When I found that photo I was so excited that I did not even bother reading the blog, so I do not know how that particular one was done.

Sure you could stencil the design with paint but do you really want to do that? Your daughter may be fickle and not like the design after a year or two. Then you would have to keep painting it over and over. Painting/stencilling the design is a great idea if you are committed to it.

Using a fabric panel will add softness to a bedroom decor.

I would just get some styrofoam and cover it with a bit of thin batting and staple it to the back of the styrofoam, and then cover with a fabric in a print that goes with the new decor. Use Velcro to attach it to the door. That way you can always change the fabric out to a new theme or remove it altogether and the amoire resumes it's original all white in case it is used with the other white furniture you have again. Just attach the Velcro to the four corners if possible or go around in a square if you have to. Use adhesive that is "removable" in case you may wish to not use the panels ever again. If the adhesive cannot be removed with out leaving a mark or stain, you can always cover the four dots where the adhesive was, with a little round white wood button type thing that they sell, and glue them over it.

You can also put on a design of grill work. The even make plastic ones that you can glue on and won't be so heavy like the metal ones are.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

If you do not use panels and just decide to change out the door pulls use a backing behind the pulls in black to really bring in the black to the piece. Something like this but picture the piece being in white with black pulls and black plate behind it with the black tassel hanging. A black plate behind the pulls will look better than just a whimpy black handle on it's own. If you can find a piece of black glass or clear glass round that you can paint the back of black, you can have it sawed in half at on of those glass places. They may even sell glass rounds right there, and saw it in half for free. Make sure they do not leave a sharp edge.

{{!gwi}}

• 15 years ago

Wow, my own little personal shopper! Thank you so much dilly dally for taking the time. You have such wonderful ideas. I'm not very crafty but maybe I could actually pull it off?? You've been sooo helpful! Thanks again!

Lindy

• 15 years ago

Another DIY article on lace as stencil:

Here is a link that might be useful: lace as stencil

• 15 years ago

Thank you for the "thank you".

Don't be down on yourself. You can do it! There are lots of 'how to' and DIY blogs that show step by step how to do these things. Kids rooms are a great place to start with DIY crafty decorating. Kids don't notice any minor mistakes in the details. If you do not want to attempt the fabric boards you could just hang curtain panels on the outside of the doors with both top and bottom rods. It would depend on the piece though. If the amoire has recessed panels in the wood door it could work. It would give the illusion of the piece having glass or open doors. I do not know what your piece looks like. Put up a black/white print fabric or even do sheer gathered black lace.

{{!gwi}}

• 15 years ago

I'm not a blue kind of person, but wow! I love those walls! The black and white would be perfect in there, IMO. Heck, I may do the same for MY bedroom! lol

• 15 years ago

Martha Stewart used a Decoupage technique for these. (I know your daughter probably isn't into botanicals, but you get the idea). Here are some pics. and a link. I love this craft cabinet and how the inside is painted. It is made from 2 bookcases.

Here's another link from apartment therapy... http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/chicago/blogging/sneak-peek-hidden-desk-armoire-made-from-2-bookcases-044968

Here is a link that might be useful: marthastewart.com article about decoupage

• 15 years ago

I just saw Allisons 'lace stencil' idea. I love it. I've seen it done on decorating shows and it looks great. Practice on an old piece of wood before attempting the furniture.

• 15 years ago

Imagine how young and cute it would look if you paint something like this on top -- in black paint of course. This design looks simple enough.

{{!gwi}}

If you don't want to do the painting, maybe you can use those vinyl decal. stick it on then spray some protective clear protective coat.

Just something to consider...

• 15 years ago

I think the black and white would be great especially with that design bella just posted.

• 15 years ago

I love that painting technique that Bella posted. What is so cool about it is that it looks like it was a natural wood cabinet and they sort of "reverse painted" the design by painting the wood cabinet white and leaving the design part unpainted. I have to remember this idea for future reference for myself. (Hmmm, maybe my wood kitchen doors?)

I have the feeling that the white amoire that Lindybarts needs to tweak is in a beadboard style. There is no photo of any amoire in her album but the other furniture is that cottage beadboard if I remember correctly.

• 15 years ago

I think the mix of black and white will be fine.
    Try to combine the two by a mixed bedspread or throw pillows of varied patterns of black and white. Marry the two colors with textured of black and white and a another spark color.

• 15 years ago

dilly...LOL! Okay so you are all going to slap me. I'm downstairs in my office getting all excited about what I can do to her Armoire with all these fabulous ideas. I walk upstairs to take some more measurements and glanced over at her Armoire. ::::slapping forehead:::: I totally forgot it has an oval mirror on the front. Seriously, I just forgot. Early Menopause is zapping my brain cells.

I do think I will just change her hardware and add black and white accents as frenchdressing suggested above. I'm about to pull the trigger on the black furniture this weekend but I need to go over the plan in my head one more time. She also has this adorable purple chaise lounge that I worked really hard to find last year. She loves sitting in it and reading. I reminded her that it won't match. I guess I could reupholster it but again, I'm not that crafty. Getting it done would cost more than the chair. But I could see it in that Zebra print like Miley's room. too cute.

I have one fuzzy picture of her Armoire.

And this is a shot of her built in desk which already has black hardware.

This is the lavender chaise that is now in the corner where she reads. The Zebra print would be cute with the black and white theme if I could do it!

• 15 years ago

lindy-is she sold on the blue? Why not stay with purple but a more grown-up color with the wall treatments as shown in the inspiration? That would still look fab with the black/white but allow you to keep that chaise and just buy a zebra throw for it. Just a thought!

Target has a mirrored round side table that would look great next to that chaise.

Here is a link that might be useful: target table

• 15 years ago

I see a lot of horses & ponies in that room---My DD (age 4) is crazy a/b ponies as well.

Purplish/blue would be a good color -- and how about something like these decals for a glamorous touch?

Here is a link that might be useful: link to decal

• 15 years ago

Hi bebetokids, yes she is competely obsessed with that blue color in Miley's room. I did mention we could try and find something with blue and purple but haven't really come across any bedding that pulls those two together well. Love the Target mirrored table. Thanks!

bellaflora, yes she is my horse nut but is ready to have more grown up decor. I told her I would change it but that it has to be something she can live with through teen years. That's how we settled on the Miley look. I love the decals you found. I did think about a purplish/blue but then I keep going back to the Miley room and I admit, I love it too.

• 15 years ago

Blue it is -- I don't know why but every girl I know age 8-10 loves aqua blue. I just painted my friend's DD's room and it was aqua (she went w/ Hawaiian theme room).

Don't know if you notice, but on the blik link, the room featured black and white furniture. :-D

check out this capiz light from westelm.

{{!gwi}}

• 15 years ago

Here's one from Pottery Barn teen:
    {{!gwi}}

Not sure if the shades of colors are what you want. Got to go but gonna do some more digging later.

• 15 years ago

"This is the lavender chaise that is now in the corner where she reads. The Zebra print would be cute with the black and white theme if I could do it!"

You can do it!

As I said before decorating kid's rooms is easy since they are not going to scrutinize the quality of the workmanship. They look at a piece as a *whole*. You can get low pile Zebra fabric in stretch. This is easier than trying to measure and fit woven fabric. Get a staple gun. Wrap the fabric around the chaise and staple it in place. Keep it taut but try not to stretch it out too much. For the bottom ruffle, get some black cotton woven fabric or even buy some cheap valances with some cutout crochet for a delicate girly look, and staple it all the way around. Then glue a cord or braiding around to cover the staples. When doing the arms and back just pull all the loose ends behind the back of the chair and staple. Then take a square piece of fabric and fold the four edges back, and lightly glue them. Then glue the square piece on the back to cover all the staples and ends. the chaise is against the wall and any tiny flaws in workmanship will not be noticed.

It will look fine, and the stretchy zebra pile fabric will have some give when sitting in it and will be EASY to work with if you do the project. In no time at all your daughter will outgrow the size of the chaise anyway, and this quick solution to change the purple chase to match the new decor will last until then.

The Miley room is done in blue/brown/black/white and it is the mix of textures that make the room sing. I would not bring in any other colors. If you do not wish to go through a quicky reupholster with the chaise then just leave it purple and toss a zebra or solid throw over it. One purple piece in a room will not matter so much. If the purple chaise still sticks out like a sore thumb in the room, then fold a solid color purple coverlet in with the other bedcovers so that the chaise is not the sole purple item in the room causing the eye to go to it and wonder why it is there. Use a shade a tiny bit deeper than the chaise for the coverlet.

The white amoire is not really a decorating dilemma. It is child size and not the behemoth that I had imagined. Just changing out the pulls to a sparkley black glass will make it fit in.

{{!gwi}}

• 15 years ago

I'm going to have to pay you guys when I'm all done with this. Thanks for the awesome decorating advice! I love this place! (((Group hug)))

• 15 years ago

:dabs tear from eye:

Everyone has had such great ideas. I hope we get to see pics of the finished room! It will be interesting to see how it all came together. Once you get the decorating bug you are going to want to sew you own pillows, and cover and accessorize your own lampshades for the room. Soon you'll be sewing your own curtains and valances and wondering why you ever settled for store bought ones before. :)

I forgot to add that when/if you recover the chaise with the stretchy velvet zebra fabric, that you can avoid webbing when you do the arms by using some fabric adhesive. This will also keep them in place when the chaise is being used, since the arms probably get a lot of wear. You can use the spray to cover large area or use the heat activated mesh adhesive. If you use the heat activated, the instructions will say to use an iron. Here is a trick I use: Use a curling iron for crevices and curves.

Also, if you faint when you go to price the cord or braided tape to cover the staples with, consider using velvet ribbon instead. Maybe put a bow at the foot of the chaise to make it look fancier if using the plain velvet instead of braided cord.

If the back of the chaise does not come out real flat put a little batting behind the cover cloth to smooth out any lumps. If the chaise is going to be used in a way the back of it shows in the room and not against the wall as it is now, maybe wrap a sash around the top and tie it in back in a bow. Don't fret about it having to be "perfect". I'm sure your 9y/o daughter will just love a zebra chaise and not be concerned about thread count or details.

Sheer Burnout Velvet for pillows maybe?

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabric Glue

• 15 years ago

Gosh that room is going to be so cute. Even if you don't do anything to the white armoire. The zebra print will tie them together.

Rooms are so important to teenagers, their little haven. Well I guess rooms are important to all of us, huh?

Be sure to post the finished product.

.....Jane

• 15 years ago

I was just in your situation a few months back. All 3 of my kids were ready (2 of them way overdue) for a major face lift to the decor of their rooms. Oldest DD(16) wanted nothing more to do with her very pretty shabby chic room. I couldn't blame her she was 6 when we moved and her taste has changed so much. We painted all her distressed white furniture black (gasp)and I was blown away by how nice it turned out. All the trim in her room is white and there's a lot of it so I was concerned about putting in pure black furniture. Well my fears were unfounded and her bedroom looks great. Do you know what brand and paint color Miley Cyrus's room is? Have you thought of trying to find a blue with purple undertones that would work with the chaise? I do love the vibrancy of the blue in your inspiration photo but maybe there are other vibrant blues with a bit of purple in them.

• 15 years ago

Well there is several blogs out about Miley's room and this decorator says the paint that matches best is Behr Blue Fox. I got a paint chip yesterday and it seems more blue than the photo. I also bought a throw from ZGallerie that is "supposedly" the same color as Miley's and I'm trying to match up paint with that.

Here's the blog I was referring to:

Here is a link that might be useful: Miley's Bedroom decor

• 15 years ago

Ummm...forget the kids, I want Miley's room for myself!! :) Gorgeous!

• 15 years ago

That blog lists pieces that cost as much or not more maybe than Miley's room. There are cheaper alternatives.

That chandelier style was sold at Target and they unloaded them, still in the box, at Goodwill. Those 'big lot' type stores had them for like $30.

You do not have to buy those expensive stickers for the wall. You can do it with a stamp you make and some paint glaze.

You can buy little mirrors and glue them on a small black table that you buy or paint black. The mirrors would only cost a couple of bucks.

I am amazed that there are so many websites and blogs devoted to just this one room.

http://mileyroommakeover.blogspot.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirror Mosaic Pieces For Sale

• 15 years ago

It is quite amazing how one room could cause such a stir. There are many blogs online devoted to copying everything in it. At ZGallerie yesterday the sales woman said they get requests for Miley stuff every single day. I told her they really need to set up a store vinette with all the pieces and they would make a fortune.

I am eyeing a couple of bedding sets from Target that are much more affordable. But I did buy a throw from ZGallerie that was a beautiful faux fur in that aqua color. It was on sale but still a bit high. I just had to have it, it's so incredibly soft and I know dd will love it. ;c)

• 15 years ago

Hey Lindy-
    I bought that light fixture from Target last year when they had that global bazaar. They should be putting that stuff out again soon once all the Christmas clearance goes away. Maybe they will sell them again.

• 15 years ago

Update on my project:

We are about 3/4 of the way done. We need accessories and still trying to decide whether to make that white armoire work. Hubby says to get rid of it but gosh, it's not that old. So, I'm still trying some things. I put on some wimpy black hardware but may try something heavier to help pull it together. I also need to figure out what to do above the bed. I left space for artwork. I have a small metal "dream" sign by her desk but I think I could see a bigger wooden black "dream" above her bed. I'm not sure I'm keeping the small black and white lamp on her nightstand yet. I also haven't changed out the ceiling fixture. I'm not sure if I still want a chandelier or not. Still playing with ideas.....

Anyhow, I love how the paint and circles came out. That part was fun! I used Valspar Blue Arrow paint and wall stickers for the circles. DD had the idea to intertwine some of the circles. A Decorator in the making...LOL

Thanks for everyone's help with my fun project!

• 15 years ago

dont' get rid of the gorgeous armoire, you can paint it black if you want it black..just put on a good dark tinted primer coat (after washing the piece well) and paint the little cutie black !

your daughter is so fortunate to have such a caring parent and such a beautiful environment..have you thought about another place to use the cute little armoire ..maybe in a bathroom, hallway, use it for linens? it could be painted any color if you don't want the white.

• 15 years ago

I hope it's okay to mix them, because I have white wardrobes in my bedroom with a very dark finish on the rest of the funiture. I love decorating with black and white.

• 15 years ago

I would like to see a bit of lattice motif painted/stenciled into the corners of the armoire in black. Maybe on that short door, too. It would mimic the "X" on the back of the desk chair. The room looks wonderful!

• 15 years ago

Hey Kitchendetective. That sounds fun. Do you think all four corners around the mirror? I may have to reinstall photoshop on my computer to play with that idea. I also like the idea of painting the whole thing black but have never tackled a project that big. Decisions, decisions!

• 15 years ago

Room is looking real pretty. Great job. I think you need to paint the piece black and be done with it. I love the lattice idea but think it might bring in a country flavor to the room and I don't see country anywhere in the room. Then again I'm not good at picturing some things ahead of time either.

• 15 years ago

Normally, I don't even look at kid's room threads, but this is just adorable! I love everything you did!~

Red

• 15 years ago

if you look inside of the armoire, there are probably clips of some sort holding the mirror in place..if so it and the hardware can be removed, then if you do that you can spray paint it with a dark primer and the black high gloss paint, and it will be easy..take it outside and do it..lay down something under it to protect your lawn or driveway..you can do it with a brush, but if you feel it is a large job difficult to tackle..do it with a spray can..and you don't have to do the inside ..if you don't want to..leave that white or use some pretty wallpaper inside it.

• 15 years ago

I'm thinking contemporary lattice, not country lattice. Very geometric and regular.

• 15 years ago

I absolutely love the circles on the wall (especially with the wall color you chose.) What a great idea. I would do that in any room.

• 15 years ago

Thanks everyone! I love doing kids rooms so this one has been fun. I might try and order some of those wall stickers in a funky design and try them on the armoire. It may look tacky though but at least I wouldn't completely ruin it should I want to sell it later. If that doesn't work, I'm going to try the stenciling. I can repaint just the door back to white at some point later in time. Painting the whole thing black has me too nervous. But who knows...I may get crazy one afternoon! LOL!

If anyone is still reading along, do you like that wimpy black and white lamp on her nightstand? It doesn't really pull things together like I thought it might. I'm also looking for a zebra print chair pad for her desk chair.

This would be the sticker I was thinking of. It comes in different sizes.

{{!gwi}}

• 15 years ago

I absolutely adore black and white combos. Fantastic and fun!

• 15 years ago

I have no idea what this fabric looks like IRL, but you may want to check out this site. Another poster says the great sale is still on!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Barn

• 15 years ago

Lindy, sorry I haven't read every answer here so I hope this isn't a repeat, but you can apply fabric directly to the furniture with wallpaper paste. If she changes her mind later, a little spray of water will help you peel it right back off and you can wash the paste off the front of the furniture. Of course, you can just stencil the armoire, and paint back over it at some future time.

• 15 years ago

wow, LIndy. What a great transformation!! The room looks great.
    I happen to like the lamp on her nightstand. It might be a smidge on the small side, but I sure do love the print!!
    Does your dd NEED the storage space in the armoire? Because if she doesn't, I would vote for removing it from the room and using it in another room in your house. It is a super cute piece of furniture, but seems sortof redundant next to her nice black dresser with mirror. IT's just another shape of dresser and mirror. Right next to one another. They don't compliment one another to my eye. That's just my .02. :o)
    Love the wall color. Love the bedding and furniture. Cute circles. She's definitely got a "Miley" room now. Lucky girl. :o)

• 15 years ago

Lindy .. that room turned out so, so cute! I bet your DD is thrilled with it.

• 15 years ago

I love the update! Thank you for coming back and sharing. My dd (age 6) is still in the pink mode. It will be fun when/if she outgrows that.

• 15 years ago

Thanks everyone! I hosted a Baby Shower yesterday and got 12 more opinions...LOL Almost everyone said they would leave it alone. BUT, I'm still thinking about trying one of the many ideas above. The stickers would be the easiest to try. And I also really like some of the heavier hardware mentioned by someone..was it Dilly Dally? Off to Google some more.

Oceanna, I didn't know you could apply fabric with wallpaper paste. Lots of great suggestions here. Thanks so much!

Lindy

• 15 years ago

Im curious to know if anyone knows the name/mfg of the wallpaper depicted in the M.S.Photo? Thanks!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH