SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nilajones

Dust mite allergy?

NilaJones
11 years ago

I am hoping some of you smart folks can help me out :).

I have a pretty severe dust mite allergy, and it's really impacting my ability to declutter. I'm hoping you all will have some suggestions.

In the public spaces of the house, it's not too bad. If I want to clean out a file drawer in the living room, for example, I can just make sure there are no fans on, lay clean sheets over the couch and the area on the floor where I do yoga, do my project, and then wash the sheets afterward (which still takes longer than the actual decluttering project, but anyway...)

Where I really have trouble is in the bedroom. If I want to clean out a cabinet there, I have to cover every surface in the room with sheets, including the clothes on the closet shelves, the trunk, two layers on the bed, etc. Then I have to wash all those sheets PLUS the curtains, and mop the floor, or I have a massive allergy attack that keeps me up all night. This is on top of the 3 kinds of allergy meds I take.

So, you can see this means that 15 minutes of tidying requires several hours of prep and cleanup. I try to consolidate, and only declutter when I have time to do lots of it in one day -- but I rarely have such a large chunk of time. Meanwhile, there is mess I would really like to get rid of!

One way I am dealing with is is by (gradually, when I have time to do the prep and cleanup), just moving stuff out of the bedroom. Makeup, jewelry, perfume, coats and scarves, etc. now live in other parts of the house. So do the bins I used to have under the bed. I miss having that storage space, but accessing it it was just too dusty. I am also working on getting allergy shots, but that will be a multi-year project.

To be clear, my problem is with the dust hours or days later, not while I am working. I can just wear a mask, then :).

Has anyone else dealt with this, or do you have some ideas? It's really cramping my style!

Comments (21)