SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sally2_gw

Pre-heating oven question

sally2_gw
14 years ago

How far ahead of time is it really necessary to pre-heat an oven? I know it probably varies according to the oven, but this bread recipe I made yesterday had you pre-heating the oven an hour and a half ahead of time. There's just no way I'm going to do that. It instructed to turn on the oven to 425 degrees, then divide the dough into thirds and braid, then let the bread rise for 1 1/2 hours, baste with beaten egg white, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and place in the oven to bake. Instead, I chose to braid the dough as instructed, set the timer for an hour, then when the timer went off turned the oven on, set the timer for another 30 minutes, and when it sounded, I followed the instructions for basting and baking. I figured if the oven isn't hot enough in 30 minutes, I'm not going to make that recipe again. As it was, the bread turned out just fine. I just don't want to waste the gas nor heat up the house for that long. Does 1 1/2 hours seem excessive to y'all? The recipe was from The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion. It was for Crusty Italian Bread.

Sally

Comments (27)