SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arabellamiller

Rosh Hashana - I'm starting to panic.........

arabellamiller
15 years ago

We got a last minute invitation from a friend to join her family, but since we were having a bunch of people already, what could I do? I invited her and her family to join us. Here's the rub: they have issues. Food issues. Many, many food issues (which is why she wanted us to go to them, but she should have asked me a month ago). Their son is gluten free, plus a whole bunch of other food issues I can't keep straight. There's NO WAY I'm having gluten free challah, but now I also have to figure out a different roast beef recipe (no soy sauce or teryaki), meatballs without bread crumbs, agave syrup instead of sugar (not a big deal, but more expensive), sorbet with no additives, and on and on. They also only eat grass fed beef, which under normal day to day circumstances I agree with, but I'm already paying $9.99/lb for kosher ground beef, add in the grass fed and that goes up by another couple bucks per pound. I was going to get get regular kosher meat for Rosh Hashana, but now I'm splurging on grass fed as well. I love them, and am happy to have them, but I'm stressed.

So, here's where I am:

The chicken soup stock is done, I'll make the actual soup tonight.

The matzo balls are done, but they aren't quite right. They weren't dense enough and a lot of them fell apart. I hope I have enough nice ones, so that at least my guests can get good looking balls. My family can have the ones that are messy and I usually skip the balls in my own soup. I'll keep the balls separate from the soup so my friend's son is OK with just soup.

The meatballs are done.

Potato kugel is done.

I'm going to roast the vegetables (beets, onions & eggplant) when I get back from today's hockey games.

Another friend is bringing a large green salad.

The friend mentioned above is bringing chicken legs for the kids, brown rice since her son can't have potato kugel, and a dessert her kid can eat.

Another friend is bringing sorbet. She's not Jewish, so I was explicit about the kosher symbols and making it non-dairy, but then I had to call back and be even more explicit about the other food issues. I felt awful, but my friend was super, super gracious.

I still have to make the roast beef. Can I make that tonight for tomorrow?

I have to make the carrot dish tomorrow.

I'm scrapping dessert I was planning (Annie's pear filling in a tart instead of cobbler) in favor of the sorbet, the gluten free thing, and some cookies from the kosher store.

I'm buying challah instead of making it.

I have class tomorrow that I can't miss, so I'll be gone until 3pm or so, leaving me just a few hours to put everything together for over 20 guests at 6pm. I may set the table tonight.

Am I the only one stressed out? I'm really jealous of my friends who cater their entire meal, or go to family and only have to make one thing.

AM

Comments (13)