SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Our Chanukah Traditions -- Requested by Satine

plllog
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

First off, there's only one real way to spell Ḥanukkah: חנכה
Though the variant חנוכה is used when diacritic dots (vowels, actually) aren't available.

Chanuka is always celebrated on the same dates: The first candle is lit on 24 Kislev and the last day of candle lighting is the first of Tevet. That the Western calendar marks the days differently is beside the point. When there is a leap month on the lunar calendar, Ḥanukah is "late" (running past Christmas and occasionally even into January). The year before leap month, it's said to be "early" with the one time "earliest" a couple of years ago when the first day was Thanksgiving. (Like all Jewish holidays, it runs sundown to sundown, so the first evening, with the first candle lighting, was on the Wednesday before).

Spelling it in English requires the H with the dot under it (Ḥ) or a Ch at the beginning to make the ch sound in Bach. Comedians have a lot of fun talking about trying to teach Americans, who aren't used to that sound (a voiceless velar fricative, if you must know) at the beginning of a word. For some reason, however, a lot of Americans who can pronounce it, make a big deal of struggling with it or over pronouncing it or something. It's a way of distancing themselves, I think, and keeping it other, rather than familiar. Still, it's the least mispronounced holiday in my experience.

Basic Jewish holiday info: We have LOTS of holidays. They're usually broken down in a hierarchy of Shabbat (Sabbath) first and foremost. Then there's the High Holy Days (Rosh HaShana (New Year) and Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement), plus the days between and some preparatory days), the three Holidays (Sukkot (called "Booths" in English), Pesach (Passover), and Shavu'ot ("Weeks")). All of those have a lot of days of prayer and Sabbath-like restrictions on work, cooking, etc. Those are the biggies. The next level has the Festivals, of which Chanukah is one. So is Purim (Feast of Esther). Then there are a number of smaller fasts, feasts and other observances. Chanukah and Purim are the "fun" ones because they're not really religious. More like Fourth of July.

The story: Chanukah is a commemoration of the miracle that happened at the rededication of the second temple after the Maccabees recovered it from the Seleucid Empire (often, erroneously, called the Syrians. They were Greeks). It is also the Jewish entry in the every culture has a solstice holiday lists. The temple was the center of Jewish life, and considered to be God's house. To this day the ark (the box that holds the Torah) is guarded by an Eternal Light. Now, it's usually electric. Then, it was fueled by consecrated olive oil. According to the story, when they went to relight the Eternal Light, there was only one unbroken container of the oil with enough to last just one day, but it lasted for eight days, thus the miracle.

Around the time that Christmas was becoming a big deal in the USA (originally, it was outlawed!), when people were regularizing giving gifts, the first Christmas cards came out, etc., the American Jews--who, unlike Jews in most parts of the world, were full citizens--wanted to participate in the general festivity and good feelings without abandoning their traditions. They pinned the gift giving and cards and decorations and baking of sweets to the closest celebration. Within the Jewish community the traditional times for giving gifts were Rosh HaShana and Passover -- during Passover you clean out everything and always get a new toothbrush, etc. Often gifts of new clothing happen then. New things for a New Year is an easy connection. But there are also times when one doesn't buy new things, and there are religious requirements at others. Chanukkah, except for on the Sabbath, which comes first, doesn't have anything going on that makes it difficult. It's all fun and light. So the gifts and cards and decorations stuck. :)

The Ḥanukkiah, or Chanukah menorah ("menorah" means any candelabra) has one branch for each night of the holiday, and another place set off by height or alignment for the "shamash", the leader candle. The shamash is lit, and used to light the other candles. This may have originated for safety reasons. It's similar to using a taper to light candles with, like they did before matches, but it's a full on candle, the same as the others, and is set to burn with them. Some burn oil instead, with wicks put in. Often the dish of oil for the shamash is movable making lighting easier. There are electric ones for nursing homes and dorms and places where you can't have a flame.

We always burn candles. There are a few different ways of doing it. I think the most common, and the one we do, is light one more candle each night, so one plus the shamash on the first night, and eight on the last. Some use one Ḥanukkiah for the whole house, others have everyone lighting their own Ḥanukkiah. Often, when only one is lit, different people will light different candles. We only light one Ḥanukkiah unless there's a lot of company. When it's the whole mob, er, family, we have several, some set up to mark the day, but the one with the biggest candles full (eight) no matter what the night, so the little kids can handle them easily and each get a turn. The Ḥanukkiah is set so it can be seen out the window, spreading the joy of the miracle. The candles are always left to burn themselves out, never snuffed except for safety. If one has to leave the house, it's usual to light a smaller Ḥanukkiah and put it in the kitchen sink before leaving, rather than snuffing it. There are a couple of blessings that are said while lighting the candles, but we have blessings for everything. Really. And that's the only religious part.

As a symbolic gesture to the miracle of the oil, most Jewish communities favor fried foods. In Europe, it was often latkes, potato pancakes. We only had them if my uncle's wife made them, or, much later, the caterer. There are two schools of thought: The shredded potato latke and the ground or finely grated potato latke. Whichever, they're served with sour cream or apple sauce, which is very Eastern European. In the East, they make sufganiot, which are small dough balls, fried and filled with jam. Basically a form of jelly doughnut. Bakeries sell American style, flat jelly doughnuts (but not as huge as some). They're fun but very messy to make. In Italy, they do fried ricotta balls (which are delicious), and in Latin America they often do buñuelos (fried tortillas with cinnamon sugar) or churros. While we've had all of those at some time or other, in my family it's always bourekes. There are many ways to make them. Spanakopita (spinach in filo triangle) is one form of bourekes. The Greek tiropita is similar to a cheese boureke, but bourekes are always triangles. Some are dough turnovers, but ours are always folded in filo dough drenched in sesame oil. They're baked but they fry themselves in the oil.

We always have a big bowl of small dreidels for playing with, placed low where the kids can get at them. When I was a kid, we used hazelnuts for tokens. The kids nowadays don't bother with the gambling part. The letters on the dreidel are the initials, in Hebrew, of the phrase a Great Miracle Happened There/Here ("here" for inside Israel).

In my family, we always sing the same old songs, though there are tons of Chanukah songs ranging from the devout to the ridiculous. I usually play Chanukah cd's while I'm cooking.

As I mentioned in the gifts thread, we exchange a lot of presents, but they're not necessarily big ones. The kids might get something to open every night, but they might be little things, like you might call stocking stuffers.

We do put up decorations, but unless people get really into it, it's not anywhere near the level of Christmas. Our big decorating holiday is Sukkot, where we build an outdoor shelter and decorate it to celebrate the harvest. I have a potted gold manzanita branch with plastic leaves that I decorate for Ḥanukkah. You'd never mistake it for a Christmas tree. It's a little table top thing. It lives on my kitchen island and it's fun. It shows up in my house a lot better than more traditional decorations, which is the point of it.

So, at the end of all of that, here's the short version: We get together, light candles, sing, play dreidel, exchange presents and eat fried foods.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County