SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Getting a decent dinner on the table

lpinkmountain
13 years ago

Lately I'm having to make a paradigm shift. I always considered myself a good cook, but I was single and lived alone. Sure, I could whip up some nice fancy dishes and throw a great dinner party, bring a good dish to the company potluck, or create a yummy coffeecake to bring to a friends house as a hostess gift. But dinner for me was usually reheated soup, nachos with bean dip, or a PB&J and some cottage cheese. Maybe a stir fry or reheated pasta if I was lucky.

Now, I have a SO who likes to eat healthy, low fat, lots of veggies. He has dinner here a lot. He doesn't like to eat pork or beef, but is not absolute about it. I don't like to eat meat but can tolerate fish and chicken. He's willing to eat vegetarian. I have discovered that I am a "bad wife" who can't get dinner on the table in a timely fashion. Last week I thought I had a great, easy dinner of thawed kofta burgers, tomato salad, pita and fruit. I made the salad in advance to marinate. So far so good. Chilled the wine. But I burned the burgers while I was setting the table, and made the fruit salad before the burgers, which made everything late and we didn't even eat the fruit.

I need some tips on how to get dinner on the table fast, elegant and healthy. I think a lot of it is sequencing. I also need to be more vigilant with my "pre prep" tricks. What a weird problem to be having in midlife, lol! SO is a good eater, bless him! Yes he helps, but right now he is working full time and commuting over an hour one way, and I'm not, so he's very tired after his long commute and hard days work. I don't mind being the main cook and bottle washer for now.

Shrimp and unstustainable seafood is out too. But we both like most fish, it's just the price is prohibitive for me most of the time. He's good about bringing some over, lol! My man doesn't bring home the bacon but he does occasionally bring home the salmon!

Comments (34)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!