SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
subk3

Appropriate wood finish inside old barn?

subk3
15 years ago

I have recently finished construction on a new/old barn. The barn is built with post and beam construction and while it isn't an antique now it will be around for a good 200 years! While the inside of the barn is highly functional and will be used for horses on a daily basis I'm trying to still keep it "barn like" as opposed to the now popular Barn McMansion.

Inside the tackroom (which is weatherproof) as well as half way up the wall down the center aisle (which is protected from the elements but not "inside" so to speak) is tongue and grove, kiln dried, white oak paneling. I was getting ready to stain it with your basic wood stain when my lumber guy happen to suggest I look into putting an oil finish on the wood instead. He thought it would be more of an "old barn look as that's what farmers of yesteryear would have done."

Any thoughts on that comment? I like the look of linseed oil on a sample piece but was wondering as to the practicality of it. It won't be rained on but it is going to be, well, a barn, as in things will occasionally bump into or scratch the walls. Is linseed my best oil option?

Thanks!

Comments (7)