SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karigraphy_gw

Organizing Toys

Karigraphy
19 years ago

Ok, it's that time again! Time to organize toys after the recent influx of Christmas gifts!

Here are my concerns. I have twin girls who are five years old . . . so take the earlier Barbie discussion and multiply by two. Fortunately, we are on the moderate side of Barbies right now. (By the way, Barbies are nothing when it comes to little accessories compared to the popular Polly Pockets all the girls want now! At least one medium box holds it ALL.) My girls share a crowded bedroom. We have a family room without a lot of storage places other than two big plastic containers, one for dress up clothes and the other for misc. stuffed animals and sleeping blankets which they use often while playing.

One girl plays with one group of toys at a time - My Little Pony, Strawberry Shortcake, etc. She could be the kind of kid to play with a group of toys then put them away.

The other girl is a crazy imagination player. She mixes toys from every group and creates things she calls "machines" or "charms" that could have ribbon and ponytail holders keeping them connected. Bigger assemblies are ships or stages or castles that include child-size chairs, blankets, books, pillows, blocks, all put together just so. She takes little girl change purses or fancy bags and fills them with little pieces from all toys, maybe one day it will be all things blue or all things that are circles. Her yellow-and-green bunny named Blueberry has to have special things with him all the time (but those things always change). She has to take something with her all the time but has lost almost everything she ever took out of the house. She takes scraps of paper and doodles on them and makes them into books for Blueberry. If you throw out something she made for Blueberry, her heart is broken. She'll carry a sticker or little book around with her for days.

The girls set up imaginary play scenes and beg me not to take them apart at night. So far, if they ask me not to, I don't but the next day starts with a conglomeration of toys.

It seems too stiffling to only let them play with one group of toys at a time when that's not how one of the girls likes to play. It seems so harsh to disassemble her contraptions. I feel like I'm being a big old softee but my gut is telling me that their creativity is really soaring when they let their imagination go wherever it goes. I love that she likes to make books and create stories out of her contraptions. She can be lost in her world for hours.

Do I even try to keep organized and keep the toys cleaned up??? Do I opt for allowing creativity vs. organization? Every few days I get together with them to put as much away in its proper place. We have fairly easy storage so they don't have to sort things into small categories and containers. They've been putting their new Christmas toys away into piles around the Christmas tree based on the type of toy it is. That's working pretty well but now that the tree is about to go, I think the toys need permanent homes, and this includes a Barbie Swan Lake castle which is two stories high.

If I'm too nearsighted to see the big picture, let me know. Maybe I need to enforce more clean up and organization. Maybe I need to withstand 10+ nights of temper tantrums every time I say it is time to clean up before they realize clean up is manditory.

They make their beds and hang up their coats and put shoes in their cubbies and put dirty clothes in the hamper. They help set the table and bring their plates to the sink to clean up. So they do have some responsibility for staying organized, just not so much with toys.

Pondering the ongoing toy dilemma, Karen

Comments (15)