SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

will a partially-replaced plaster ceiling fall?

talley_sue_nyc
17 years ago

I read w/ great interest the thread on removing a plaster ceiling, and I *think* it has convinced us what to do.

But I have one question: If the plaster expert I've found removes the water-damaged part of my plaster ceiling ...

(which he says has separated from the lathe in a section that's about 1/4 or 1/3 of the ceiling, and would fall on its own, but it solidly connected in all the rest of the ceiling, and which also has several ages-old oft-repaired cracks that completely cross the ceiling)...

...will the REST of the plaster ceiling be loosened in the process (shaking around, and rubbing against the nails that hold the plaster and therefore widening the nail holes) and fall off eventually?

This was a worry raised by the GC whose plan was to remove the entire ceiling, replace w/ insulationg and drywall.

I don't want to disturb something that's not broken, but I also don't want the entire ceiling to fall down on me.

The plaster guy seems very experienced, and he didn't mention this. He does plan to remov eand replace (w/ plaster, apparentlyl) the part that's damaged, and then apply bonding agent, room-wide mesh, and a new skim coat of real plaster over it, to the ENTIRE ceiling. This will cover all the cracks in a way that won't let them show again (at least, not very soon).

What do you think?

(fyi--it's a 1921 apartment bldg, w/ plaster over WIRE lathe in the walls; don't know about the ceiling; we own, and the repairs are our choice and our expense; the water-intrusion issues on the building have been completely fixed)

Comments (11)