SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canarybird01

Almond-coated Fish & Roasted Veg - for Jeri (pic)

canarybird01
16 years ago

In answer to Jeri's query on the Tilapia thread...

I'll put my response here as to how I cook those crispy potatoes and almond-coated fish. In this photo I was using fillets of perch.

I love doing potatoes and yams that way as it's so easy. I have a little countertop oven which is now over 24 years old which has two black enamel trays and measures 9" high, 12" wide and 11" deep.

I can roast vegetables on one level and bake a piece of fish or roast at the same time in the other pan.

So to do the vegetables I spread a few drops of olive oil on the pan and spread it around with my fingers, then add a sprinkle of dried thyme and freshly ground pepper. I'm keeping low salt at the moment but you can add a bit of that too.

Then take a few small potatoes ...about the size of a golf ball or a little larger... scrubbed and with skins on and cut them in half, laying them flatside down on the pan. Peel the yams and cut them into rounds, about 3/4 " thick and arrange them on the pan. I sometimes also like to add sliced red pepper, onion and garlic cloves. Then drizzle all over lightly with olive oil and add some more thyme, either fresh stalks from the garden or about a TBSP of dried. Put the tray in the oven at about 350F - 375F ....this oven is so old that the numbers have rubbed off LOL...and they are done anywhere from 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the thickness of the vegetables. Be careful when you remove the potatoes....use a very thin metal spatula to get right underneath each potato as the crispy brown part is on the flat side, and you don't want to leave that stuck to the pan. Here's a photo of yams and other vegetables, as well as the ground almond, so you can see its texture.

Comments (4)