SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Is the love of old houses fading away?

rosefolly
10 years ago

I have been reading lately that antique furniture prices have been declining, due in part to the fact that younger people don't like them. My own daughter calls such pieces "dead people's furniture" and she finds them distasteful. I also notice the popularity of home remodeling shows on television; in fact I watch them myself. Almost every homebuyer wants an "open floor plan", what was originally called the Great Room concept back in the 1980's when it was first introduced as a way to get a feeling of spaciousness for less actual square footage. The few who say that they do want what they call "charm" are happy to remodel most of the charm right out of the house, removing walls and built ins and ripping down most of the wood trim in pursuit of said open floor plan. The wood that is left generally gets painted white. Nobody seems to have any interest in sensitive modernization, much less true restoration. The very nature of a television show precludes these approaches. Such approaches require more time, money, and knowledge than a reality TV show can allow. Nonetheless, I believe these shows are in large part actually forming current tastes, not merely reflecting it.

Based on census data of 2001, only a little more than 8% of the housing stock in the USA was built in 1920 or earlier. I would imagine that figure has gone down in the intervening decade-plus as more new houses were built and more old ones torn down. My quick search could not find more recent data, though I know I have seen it somewhere, perhaps in a recent issue of the magazine Fine Homebuilding. So there are fewer older houses available, and they do seem to be valued less than at any time I can remember.

Any thoughts?

Rosefolly

Here is a link that might be useful: 2001 Census housing data

Comments (20)