SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cnvh_gw

Safely scrape paint off plaster walls? (Danged calcimine!)

cnvh
18 years ago

I've posted here before about our calcimine paint dilemma... well, I'm just about ready to tackle stripping off the surface layer of (already flaking and peeling) paint, then washing/scrubbing off the calcimine layer.

I have a few questions:

1. What's the best way to get off the surface layer of flaking/peeling paint? I'm thinking about using a 3- or 4-inch putty knife, but I don't want to damage the plaster underneath. (We don't have kids and none come to visit, so I'm not too concerned about the lead issue other than meticulously cleaning up afterwards.)

2. Of the whole house, 3 of the painted rooms (study, living room, part of the kitchen) are already flaking/peeling pretty heavily. The other rooms (dining room, all 3 bedrooms) aren't peeling/flaking at all. I assume that calcimine paint was used throughout the house... should I try and strip ALL the rooms before repainting, or only the ones that are peeling already?

3. Once I'm down to the calcimine layer, I've heard/read that I'll need to "wash" the calcimine off. Is there a particular product anyone can recommend for this, and if so, where would it be available?

I can't wait to paint and finally put our own "tastes" into our home, but I don't want to cause a disaster, either!

Comments (14)