SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Lighting for the island

oldbat2be
12 years ago

My lighting plan is an area which I would definitely have done differently, if I had to redo.

Currently, we have many zones, lots of recessed cans, and non-centered locations for the island light (latter point being key issue at this time).

Our lighting plan, wiring, drywall was completed prior to the island details being finalized. I'd actually like to center one or two lights over the island (and possibly omit the cans) but as you can hopefully see, current wiring is not centered. (Dangling wire and suspended lightbulb were originally planned fixture locations.... the can which appears to be between these two and the can to the left of the dangling wire, are the lights I'm considering omitting. Original thought was to provide light to those seated around the island).

I don't mind patching drywall; have already done this with one light which ended up partically covered by our custom hood, and it turned out great. (Yes, I do know one can't just bury the fixture, DH knows how to do correctly).

Two questions, please.

1) What does one do when a ceiling joist gets in the way of where you'd like to hang a light?

2) What would you do for lighting? Island is 7' long by 6' wide. I will have stools at the front and left sides. One big light? Two lights centered length wise, cross wise? Pendants?

Suggestions and advice greatly appreciated, as always.

(WOW does this look messy! How does one ever get to the finished pictures???)

Comments (15)