SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kit_813

Cedar shingles vs Vinyl: help needed!

kit_813
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of renovating my house and I am completely mixed-up by what the contractors and equipment sellors tell me...

See, my house is a 1941 house, which for my city in northern Quebec is amongst the oldest houses. A small 22x24 1 and a half story with bedrooms in the attic, deep in a country road with no neighboors. I want to give this house a country look, and when I looked at pictures of 1900s houses in Northern Quebec I found that I loved all these old cedar shingles houses, painted in multiple colors, with a roofed porch on 3 sides.

Problem is, the building companies don't want to sell me cedar shingles, allegating that they are hard to maintain. They want me to buy a vinyl imitation made by Royal Designer Shake, but I am not sure. First they don't have the bright yellow color I want, and second I've seen them on some houses and they look fake.

On the other hand, when I spoke with a salesperson of a cedar company, she told me that her white eastern cedar was garanteed for 50 years against mold and deterioration. Plus, if I put 2 coats of opaque stain, extendable to 30 years if I restain it before the 15 years garantee ends. She tells me that beside the paint job (which would not be a problem if only once every 15 years) the cedar shingles are maintenance free.

For installation, it would be harder to find someone able to install cedar, but the company can make them already attached in 8 feet long sections, making the job faster and easier.

I don't know what to think anymore. Of course for the salespersons the product they sell is the best ever, but I can't seem to find a non-biased point of view and as it is a hard choice to make, I don't want to make a mistake I will regret for the next 10 years+.

So I am looking for experienced people advices with cedar shingles, as they are my main focus now.

Thank you very much, reading you all is a pleasure!

Comments (10)