SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenbean08_gw

Wheat Bread- Sticky Dough??

greenbean08_gw
15 years ago

I purchased a bag of King Arthur Flour the other day for the first time. I decided to try the 100% whole wheat bread recipe on the bag. The first time I used my KitchenAid to mix it, but the dough was so sticky still, I thought I maybe I didn't put in all of the flour.

I made it again tonight, and did it all by hand, and I don't know if it's just different from other breads I have made in the past, or if something's not quite right.

I have baked bread off and on through the years, but it's been a while. I've never made 100% whole wheat before. I have never used a greased surface to knead dough. I also now live at 7000' in a very dry climate.

Tonight, I hand mixed the ingredients and tried to knead on the greased countertop (I used butter) and I oiled my hands, but I would turn it a few times and the dough would start to stick. I finally just put some flour on the countertop (probably almost 1/4 cup altogether) until it was less sticky, then finished kneading with the butter. Is the dough supposed to be that gooey? I'm afraid I'm making the bread dry by adding more flour.

Also, am I supposed to punch down the dough and work out the bubbles, or just sort of shape it and put it in the pan? I didn't punch it, because the recipe made it sound like you're just supposed to shape it.

It's in the oven now, so I don't know the result yet.

Any advice??

Thanks!

Comments (7)