SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fivefootzero

How can I get him to go to the dark side?

fivefootzero
13 years ago

OK, we're on countertops now. I really, really, really want soapstone, and I can't convince my husband. He thinks it's cold looking, laboratory looking, dark looking, doesn't like a thing about it. BUT, in his next breath, he says "but get what you want".

We've been in touch with GS Soapstone here in NJ. I'm really in love with the PA Original. Jay has been wonderful emailing me back and forth, and my husband even stopped by there yesterday and got some samples (much to my surprise; he was in the area picking up our floor and was 5 minutes away and took a chance).

I can't get him to like it. One part of me says "he said just get what I like"...but the other part of me says "he's going to hate it every time he walks in to the kitchen".

When I try to convince him that everyone covets it, he tells me "then why doesn't everyone have it?" or "how come I've never seen it in anyone's home?" or "it just seems like nothing would go with it" or "it's so cold looking". MEN!?!?!?!?!?!?!

He's been really really trying, looking at pictures, looking at the samples, etc.

We (I) settled on something our fabricator calls "Santa River"...much like Santa Cecilia granite. It would be leathered with an ogee edge. I say settled, because while it is pretty, and I do like it (has to be leathered, not a fan of shiney), I feel limited as to what colors I can use with it. Our cabinets are Decora Hawthorne stained Pheasant. We have natural stained oak floors. It seems like my entire home is filled with golds and burgundys and browns...so I really wanted to try something different in the kitchen. He likes neutrals...so the granite would just blend in with the rest of the house. Blech.

How do I get my soapstone and STILL stay married???

Comments (35)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor