SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittiemom

I need to organize my entire life!

kittiemom
10 years ago

Various life changes over the past few years have brought me to the point that I need a complete organizational makeover. I was doing pretty well when we first moved into our new house. We made a rule that we had to have a place to put anything we brought in from storage (most of what we owned was in storage because we lived in a tiny apt. for more than a year while the house was being built). That worked really well at first and we were able to keep the house neat and clean. Since then, I've changed jobs twice, plus a internal move within my current company, so it's really it's like three job changes. DH's responsibilities at work have increased so he is not as available to help me as he once was. He was doing some of the grocery shopping and a lot of the cooking, as well as helping with some other things. He still helps when he can, but his job is very stressful and he works long hours. He's also developed some health issues that sometimes mean that he doesn't feel like doing anything around the house. My dad's health began to decline, making it necessary for my sister and me to step in and take over his affairs. He is now in an assisted living facility near me, but because he has dementia, we have to make medical and business decisions for him. I became a member of our local Rotary and have been helped with or headed up several time-consuming projects. I also served as treasurer for a friend's political campaign as well as being involved in other ways in the campaign of another friend. All of this has had the effect of me not having enough time to keep my home and life organized.

I was recently asked to serve as treasurer for a local political club. After some thinking during the holidays, I've decided to tell my friend that I can't serve as club treasurer. I just don't have the time to deal with the mail, bank deposits, filing reports to the state, etc. I will likely continue my Rotary membership, though I'm considering taking a leave of absence. I've already told them that I can attend the weekly 7:30am meetings but am not able at this time to head up or become heavily involved in any projects as I've done in the past.

At this point, I feel that everything is a mess. My filing and paperwork are out of control. I stay really busy at work, so my filing there is way behind. Most of my house is cluttered. My car, which DH bought me for my birthday last year, has junk in it. I swore when I got it that this wouldn't happen - it's my first ever new car and the first that I chose without letting others' opinions influence me.

I'm feeling overwhelmed at this point. I have been doing pretty well with trying to plan healthy meals and using my crock pot and pressure cooker to reduce the time spent in the kitchen. That's about the only area where I feel successful right now. DH and I both need to lose some weight this year, so that will definitely mean that I need to be organized with my meal planning.

Sorry this is so long. I guess I needed to vent to people who would understand. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (12)