SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donna_loomis

Celiac Disease

donna_loomis
14 years ago

My daughter has been having "digestive" problems since the birth of her first child 10 years ago. I put the word digestive in quotation marks, because I'm not really sure that this is the best word to describe it.

She has cramps and bloating most days. Almost before she is done eating every meal, she is running to the bathroom with diarrhea. She has gone to the doctor many times and is always told that it is probably caused by stress. She has also developed a small bald spot at the hairline just above her forehead. The two may be totally unrelated, but that seems to reinforce her doctor's opinion that it is stress related. He's never run any tests, blood or otherwise.

Yesterday she was very ill and took off work to go to see him once again. This time she was more assertive and he actually poked around asking, "Does this hurt? Does this hurt?" And it hurt most places he poked. She actually had the guts to tell him, "Well, at least this time you actually touched me". I say, good for her. Sounds like a lazy doctor to me. Of course, he was a bit shocked, but not enough to apologize for his apathy. But he did take blood to run tests on and said that she might have an ulcer or Celiac Disease.

I did a bit of looking online to read about the symptoms, and while I realize that not all patients will have all symptoms, I wonder how he could think that it might be Celiac Disease. It seems that absorption of nutrients is a problem. If that were so, I would think that weight loss would be a symptom for most (if not all) Celiac Disease sufferers. But my daughter is overweight, not underweight.

Does this sound right?

Comments (10)