SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macmex

The Resilient Gardener

Macmex
13 years ago

Hey Folks,

I've been meaning to post something on this great new book I received recently. The full title is *The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times. It's by Carol Deppe, an innovative plant breeder and very good author from the West Coast. Carol also wrote *Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties: The Gardener's & Farmer's Guide to Plant Breeding & Seed Saving*, which has been my favorite book on seed saving for years.

The reason I've held off posting is that I'm not totally through with the book. Plus, I have wanted to write a brilliant, glowing commentary on the book when I did. But I'm having trouble summing up the book. Actually, the title does that about as well as anyone could. But I'll give you a couple reasons why I'm so excited about this book:

1) This book pretty well nails what has been Jerreth's and my passion in almost everything we do related to self-sufficiency. That is, it addresses something larger and broader than just growing things. It addresses *production for consumption, survival and happiness.*

2) Carol writes uniquely. One does not learn what she has to teach without learning about her own journey. I find this very helpful, as the context helps explain the content. I also find Carol, in her books, to be a delightful person.

3) This book addresses other areas of production, which, in my mind are closely related to gardening, though often not considered so. For example she writes on poultry and other forms of meat production. To me, this is just a logical step from gardening and very important.

4) Carol is a "duck-aholic" and so am I. Okay, so she isn't into Muscovies, like me. But her Anconas sound like excellent birds. I cannot understand why so few Americans like duck and even fewer like their eggs. Yet, ducks are probably the most practical of all poultry, with the potential of being raised where chickens can not.

5) Carol writes about growing and raising things because they make one feel good. I grow certain crops which I call "feel good crops." That's because, they are dependable and productive and, for one reason or another, when I grow them and am around them, I am happy. Carol expresses this very well.

6) Carol has celiac disease. Because of her wheat intolerance everything she produces is slanted toward a wheat free diet. Jerreth and I love wheat. But we greatly appreciate Carol's perspective. She has focused on corn, which for the home grower much easier to process. Being a plant breeder, Carol has actually developed some varieties of corn, special for the homesteader type. Also, we know a number of families with celiacs in them. We couldn't resist, we had to send them copies. We can't send out more now. But this book is very high on our list as a "must have," for several reasons.

Okay, I have to do chores. I'm off work, stayed up too late and slept too late! Gotta run!

Do look at the link below. There you can download the table of contents and first chapter of the book. You'll probably have to order it after reading that ;)

George

Tahlequah, OK

Here is a link that might be useful: Carol Deppe dot com

Comments (13)