SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpolk_gw

Old House Blues (just venting)

lpolk
19 years ago

I know some people here will understand me. We have a wonderful 100+yr old victorian house, that was in "great shape" when we bought it, but (you guessed it) little things here are there have gone and I guess I have the fix-it-up blues.

The house is not really a fixer upper, it just needed some updating. We have done the electrical upgrade and waterproofed the basement. This year we were planning a new roof, but our original wooden gutters are leaking like crazy, and I am learning that I must also custom line them with copper which is even more expensive than having new (visible!) copper gutters put on, or tear off all my trim boards.

And of course, the stucco is cracking. None of the doors close. The chimney needs repointing. The porch is about to rot right through. The radiators have never been maintained and are imbalanced, not to mention our boiler which is about to go. I have more but you know the drill.

I was just looking forward to the "fun" stuff, you know, a new bathroom, a finished attic, and someday, a new kitchen (I lurk on the kitchen board crazy with envy). But all our money is going to these structural things that no one sees, and I am getting discouraged. I know it's worth it, and I want to do the right thing to preserve the house, but I guess I just needed to share with you all who feel my pain. This is my first house so it's all new to me. :)

Comments (11)