SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom2lilenj

timber vs balloon frame?

mom2lilenj
17 years ago

I have an 1885 wood frame farmhouse. I'm slowly restoring the house from a bad 1980's "remodel". For instance the house should have 5 evenly spaced tall windows across the top front with four windows on the bottom with the front door centered. Anyway the PO took out those windows and put in two LARGE picture windows and two LARGE bay windows! What?! It looks bad as many others in my community remind me.

My question however is what framing my house has. I would like to take out a wall separating the old back porch/turned kitchen from the dining room and move the dining room toward the front of the house and kitchen into the dining room and make the current kitchen a breakfast nook/side entry. There are 8' long stone steps that lead to a blank wall where the back porch was enclosed to place the kitchen. Someone told me at one time it was a summer kitchen.

The issue is if it is a timber frame house, that wall might not be load-bearing, if it is balloon frame it probably is load-bearing. I'm doing some research into how to determine which type it is, but I was wondering if anyone here knows how to do that.

In my basement I have a 40' 12"x10" beam that runs the width of the house and two 8"x8" beams that are mortised and joined running perpendicular to the big beam that align with the long center hall and staircase (about 9' apart). Also while remodeling our upstairs bathroom (an add-on over what used to be back porch) we found 8"x8" posts that align with the 8"x8" center hall beams. These posts are in what used to be the outside wall to the house. I'm assuming that there are other posts in the corners of the house as well.

Other than ripping out the plaster and lath (which we will do eventually, but want to contain the mess), is there a way to determine if I have a timber frame house or a balloon frame house?

Comments (4)