SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cdncnay

Exposed Beams vs. Glulams

cdncnay
5 years ago

Hi all,

We're building a contemporary styled house on the pacific northwest coast. We will have some exposed beams in a high ceilinged great room as well as as rafters in the bedrooms on 2nd floor. We'll also have some exterior beams showing for supports of porch/garage roof/patio/deck.

We can't decide between solid natural douglas fir beams (would just seal, no stain) vs. fir glulam. The issues I'm aware of are:

1. Glulam is more dimensionally stable/reliable for building and we'll likely need smaller beams w glulam (ie. cheaper). I've had one opinion that we may not need an engineer to review plans if we use glulam but would if we used solid fir?

2. A bit harder/longer to source the solid timber

3. Checking/splitting of solid timber - I'm ok with this, part of having natural wood

At the end of the day I'm sure it is a personal decision and of course both look great in the right context. I think I have an overall preference aesthetically for the fir as well as the allure of it being "solid wood". I'm a bit concerned about the extra cost, which has been hard to actually quantify.

Thanks for your thoughts and things we may not have already thought of!

Comments (7)