SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
word_doc

What style do you think this house is?

word_doc
10 years ago

Hi! We have been on a house-hunting journey for close to a year now. After having two other home sales fall through, we are finally just about all cleared to close on this house. It's listed as a Queen Anne built in 1907 in a neighborhood where there are lots of historic George Barber Victorians. However, the county has the house listed as built in 1920, and that's also what my homeowner's insurance pulls up (probably from the same county records?). The appraisal also notes the discrepancy, and I have asked into the 1907 date. Honestly, I think it's more in keeping with a 1920s era home, which would--I think?--make it not likely a Queen Anne by date alone. I don't see a lot that is consistent with Queen Anne other than the asymmetry. I have located a few other houses in the general area that are similar, and those were built in the 1920s.

The house had been chopped up to create apartments, then renovated/restored back to a single family home. It has an attic that was almost certainly used as living space either originally or very early on (old hardwood floors are still intact) in part of it.

The ceilings are mostly high, at least 9 feet and maybe higher. Lots of fireplaces, although none are operational any longer. Original kitchen is long gone. The rooms are all good-sized. There is an entry room that the front door opens into that is an actual room. The windows are all good-sized, but they are wood replacement so there are no clues there.

The house is in Knoxville, TN. I can post more photos if it would help. Thanks.

Comments (14)