SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valzone5

Finally got a job offer

valzone5
15 years ago

Some of you may remember that I have been quickly approaching the end of my term of employment. Being the only bread winner in the family, it has been very stressful. I currently work for the provincial government and they would love to keep me on, but there is no position there. Unfortunately in the government you can't just hire someone when you need them - you are alloted X many positions and once they are full, you can't hire more. My department has all positions full. I was filling in for someone who was on maternity leave. She comes back mid-February.

Soooo... I have been sending out many, many resumes, and didn't get one single phone call. On Monday I decided to stop by a place by chance - the owner had offered me a job two years ago and I had turned him down. He had tried hard to talk me into working for him, but I refused. He called me again a year ago, but the timing was wrong - I had just started the maternity leave fill-in.

When I stopped in on Monday, he said that he didn't have anything open, but that he'd think about any possibilities. Last night he called me and offered me a job - a new position that he's created just for me!! I told him that I would have to think about it (as it happens, yesterday my current boss told me that he's pulling all of the strings that he has to try to get around the red tape and keep me on for another year, possibly).

The job offer that I got last night was very flattering - for someone to create a job for me really says something. He also offered me a fairly decent wage (not *fabulous* money, but pretty decent for this town, and more than he offered me a couple of years ago). It being a small business scares me because I have mostly government experience and I am used to the snail's pace and flexibility (and the odd 2-hour lunch). I am also used to paid sick days (I don't abuse them, but I have had to use them). I'm used to people being laid back. I am used to a good wage (union) and regular raises, without having to ask.

A couple of years ago when he offered me a job, I posted here about making a choice between working for a hot-head small business owner (that's the reputation that he has), and working for a large company. A lot of people told me to forget the hot-head thing because our personalities may very well mesh. It's still at the back of my mind though....what if this guy is an arse-hole.

So I hardly slept a wink last night. I was supposed to call him today to give him my yes or no. I never called. I have to call him tommorow.

There is no real point to this thread :O) I am just letting off some steam. (But if you have any thoughts about it, please by all means fire away!)

Comments (12)