SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cooksnsews

Store brands/generics vs National brands

cooksnsews
15 years ago

I'm curious as to how many of us choose cheaper store branded products as opposed to name brands. After reading the thread on tinned tuna and the varying opinions of specific brands, I'm left wondering how many of us are sceptical of any quality differences.

My regular supermarket has a fairly comprehensive range of own-brands, which I often opt for. I just peeked into my fridge and cupboards to see which products I have from the big brands, and it is limited to ketchup and mustard, tomato sauce, coffee, tea, wine & beer (yes, my grocer brands these also!), and cat food (Blossom is on a prescription diet). Otherwise, dairy products (milk, bulk cheese, butter), baking supplies (flour, baking powder, oil, extracts, etc.), bottled salad dressing including mayo, tinned goods, & frozen food are all generics. I don't mind spending extra for good meat for the barbecue, or certain organic veggies, but I'd rather save on the things where I can't detect a difference.

The generics I purchase tend to be processed/packaged products of uniform predictable quality. The prevailing rumours here are that they come out of the same processing plants as the big names, just with different labels.

I'm just wondering how widespread are my experieces, or, as my DH and kiddoes frequently describe, am I just CHEAP!

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor