SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenathegreat

Help my living room please

jenathegreat
16 years ago

My living room needs help!

Everyone here has so many good ideas, I'd love to get some opinions.

What should I do with my living room? I'm not sure how to arrange it or what else I need to buy. We've lived here for 3 years, but have just started getting some new living room furniture. And of course I started buying without having a clear idea of what I needed, but we were stalled for so long that I had to do something just to get the ball rolling.

Background: I live in an older ranch home, 1500sq ft. The ceilings are 8ft. The living room is the only living space/den/family room or whatever you want to call it, so this is where we watch TV and entertain. We have 4 cats and a baby who will soon be crawling, so it needs to be cat/baby friendly (and please excuse the baby stuff which is visible in all pictures)

I'm not sure how to include pictures in my post, but I have them linke below.

West wall: entry to front door, largest wall in the room. The doll cabinet has to stay in this room, but can move. The chair is new.

North wall: door to garage, kitchen/eating area bumps out into living room. Cat litter boxes are hiding behind the couch. The bakers rack can stay or go. The couch is new. The end tables are part of my old set, I'm not in love with them, but I do like that they have storage.

East wall: kitchen eating area, door to backyard, the only window, entry to bedrooms. The striped loveseat is part of my old furniture and it is leaving tonight!

South wall: TV has to stay here because it's the only cable hookup. Entry to bedroom/bathroom on the right. Iron shelves/baskets can stay or go. I'd love to get a new TV stand/armoire, I just haven't found the right thing. I also want some enclosed storage (maybe bookcases with doors at the bottom?) and I've been thinking that these should match the TV stand/armoire.

Center of the room: New rug - is it too big??? I can still return it, but I do like it. It's not a super expensive rug, but it is wool and I think it's of decent quality. Black bench/ottoman - this was a surprise (random) purchase by my DH last year, it did not go with our old furniture and I'm thinking it doesn't really go with this furniture.

If there had been another chair at the store, I would have bought it, but there wasn't. And we have looked for so long for something that we both like and could afford that we bought the sofa and one chair even though we think we'll need to find another chair that coordinates with this.

Questions:

1) Is the rug too big?

2) Do the sofa color, tile color, and rug work together? I think they do, but I'm not great at colors.

3) How about the wall color? I'm not wild about it, but I

hate to paint. Since this room can be seen from all other rooms, we picked a neutral, none of the other rooms are neutral (kitchen is blue, bedrooms are purple/green/jungle mural, study is red)

4) Should we get another chair? Should it go in a U-shape with couch and the other chair? Or over by the window where the loveseat is now? Ideas for chair shape or fabrics?

5) End tables and coffee table end tables are too rustic aren't they? what about the black bench/coffee table? I do still have the coffee table that matches the end tables.

6) Lamps the big urn shaped lamp does not have a match anymore. I have a set of unfinished wood lamps that could go there an can be finished any color (see pic). What do you think?

I know my windows and walls are pretty bare, but I figured I was already asking enough questions so I'll save that for another day... but if you have an opinion, feel free to share it.

Comments (2)